Carbon mnoxide alarm - recommendations?

I want a carbon monoxide alarm to place near my combi boiler. It needs to be faily loud as the the boiler is in the loft. Can anyone recommend one that's good value?

Thank you,

Mike D

Reply to
Mike D

Just read your other thread. Carbon monoxide is heavier than air. Get that boiler checked.

Reply to
dom

Actually it is about 3% lighter than air.

Reply to
Peter Parry

Sorry, I was thinking of CO2.

Reply to
dom

Just about any of them, I think the one I have on the boat is "First Alert". It seemed very cheap for the peace of mind and it's ear shatteringly loud.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Budgie?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

ferkin ediot. you means a canary!!

Reply to
Chas

They're tuned for firedamp (whatever that is). You'll will need to get it re-calibrated for CO.

Reply to
Graham.

Ensure it carries a BS Kitemark on front. Some in Robert Dyas were recently withdrawn.

See

Gel

SJP

Methane.

Reply to
Huge

On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 21:49:49 +0100, Mike D mused:

I'd look for one that will automaticaly shut off the electical supply to the boiler if it's tucked out of the way where you might not hear it.

Reply to
Lurch

Carbon monoxide has a molecular mass of 28, and air an average of 28.8 so carbon monoxide is marginally less dense than air. With the air movement in the loft tis is probably nor significant.

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm Race

A CO alarm is an extra level security.

The main idea is to install, operate the boiler does not produce any CO. Furthermore just about all modern domestic boilers are room sealed and if installed correctly will have a vanishingly small chance of emitting CO into the loft or elsewhere.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

That's good to know - thanks. Yes, mine is a fairly modern one (1997), and it's in the loft which is well-ventilated too, so what with carbon monoxide being ligter than air, as someone said, I am now less worried. But I'll get the detector anyway, just as an extra precaution.

Thanks to all for the help,

Mike D

Reply to
Mike D

Look it's not about CO being lighter than air.

1) The boiler shouldn't make very much at all. If it does the boiler is at fault.

2) All gases produced by the boiler should be sent outside under all circumstances. A room sealed boiler achieves this without trying.

3) CO is not (significantly) lighter than air but is likely to be warm when produced and hence lighter in practice.

It is open flued (and flue less) appliances that need monitoring.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

In message , Lurch writes

Aldi had some CO detectors that were made by the exact same company that badges them for BG but at a quarter the price of the BG ones.

Reply to
Clint Sharp