Carbon footprint question

Is there a reliable and comprehensive source of information about the carbon footprint for various appliances etc?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

On Tue, 3 Apr 2007 10:34:17 +0100 someone who may be "Mary Fisher" wrote this:-

Not really. The best starting point is probably Friends of the Earth and then following up the references.

Reply to
David Hansen

I'll have a look, thanks.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

This may be of interest to you Mary

and could well steer you to the information that you are asking for.

Brian G

Reply to
Brian G

Ask Charles Windsor, I am sure he knows as a green advocate and probably the person in the UK with the largest carbon footprint.

Reply to
Broadback

I know of that site, thanks, but it doesn't really help.

However, this does! Well worth a look.

Mary Fisher

Just about every appliance has the energy consumption given somewhere on it. Things like kettles will have it stamped into the base etc in watts. The actual footprint of course depends on use - and a low wattage kettle won't save energy to boil the same amount of water - probably the reverse.

For other appliances you might have to look at the handbook, etc.

With things like fridges etc the energy used also depends on the degree of insulation. Washing machines also vary in the amount of energy they use for a given task. Modern ones are marked ABCDE etc.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

As a rough guide, one's carbon footprint is roughly the same size as one's arse

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Especially when one is talking out of it, as Charlie tends to.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Surely there are other factors beside power consumption? Appliances have to be manufactured, transported, and disposed of at end of life, and these involve CO2 production too.

Reply to
John Stumbles

In that case John Prescott looks a good bet.

Reply to
DIY

True - but no one site can possibly have accurate figures on this. You can make an educated guess yourself.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Gottit!

Not directly, but from the forum.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

You missed the 'etc' :-)

I've had helpful information from folk on another forum so thanks to everyone but I know an answer now..

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

That's OK Mary, but I'm not really a believer in this 'global warming' caused by excessive carbon emissions theory and niggled to hell because of this government taxing us to high heaven as an excuse for it.

Brian G

Reply to
Brian G

I don't think we're being taxed to high heaven because of carbon emissions, governments have always taxed us but now the wrong things are being taxed.

As for not believing in it, that's your prerogative but it isn't just British scientists who do.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

meow2222

And if the taxes do what they *say* they are intended to do and reduce such emissions, they'll then have to find something else to tax due to reduced government income. In other words, you can't win.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

According to a documentary on the box recently, excessive CO2 is caused by climate change - not the other way around.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

That particular producer has 'form' in terms of bad-science documentaries.

Reply to
OG