Carbin Fibre rods - source.

SWMBO is helping someone make a display stand for art work. we have the metal framework but we need to work out a way of attaching an inner fabric lining which will serve as a backdrop to the pictures. I have proposed making a pocket hem in the material and threading a carbon fibre sectional rod through to make a frame. Then using this - with suitable hooks - to attach the fabric to the metal structure. I have a beach shelter which uses carbon fibre poles - any ideas when I can obtain such poles and couplings?

Regards

Reply to
DerbyBoy

I'd look at mountain tent spares.

Most geodesic type tents have thin bendy poles ( not necessarily carbon, aluminium is common ).

Google 'tent pole spares'.

Reply to
Ron Lowe

may be stiff enough and is far cheaper, either way the above supplier sells both tube and rod (but only carbon tube)

Model shops will also sell carbon rod and tube in a range of diameters.

Reply to
The Other Mike

Hi There try kite stores for a range of carbon fibre rods. Though it might be cheaper to salvage beach shelters such as you have, I was amazed at the low price they have come down to in recent years.

HTH Jon N

Reply to
The Night Tripper

Thanks all. Thinking now of trying strong magnets to attach material to steel frame.

Reply to
DerbyBoy

I'm a BIG FAN of strong magnets, readily available in many sizes and shapes. The 18 mm dia 2.5 mm thick disks with a central hole (countersunk one side) is particularly useful, I find.

Reply to
Newshound

Glastonbury?

Reply to
Clive George

The plastic covered springs that are sometimes used for net curtains?

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

The GF wands used for tents?

Reply to
PeterC

It probably uses black fibreglass instead of carbon fibre.

Carbon fibre makes a very stiff pole, so it's used for kitemaking, but not usually for tents (some high-end, but straight poles, are). It's also rare to see carbon fibre rod in large diameters - anything over

5mm tends to be tube. Most cheap pole is "pultruded", i.e. an extrusion process with the fibres aleready in the resin. This gives a cheap stiff pole, but it can split if overbent. The best stuff is some sort of helical wrap or weave, but this gets expensive.

For most purposes, white fibreglass will do what you need better than carbon fibre. It's tougher (less brittle) and far better for almost any use where it needs to be bent. A bit cheaper too.

Searching for outdoor suppliers, clothing sewing suppliers, and especially kite making supplies, should turn stuff up for you. I use nearly as much 1mm and 1.5mm fibreglass rod as I do gaffer tape.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

My experience of display stands held together with magnets is that they work marvelously until just before the exhibition starts, when all the magnets let go at once.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar