Caravan Wetroom

I intend to convert our caravan shower area to a wet room for use by a whee lchair person. Currently it has a shower tray set in the floor but this cau ses issues passing over with a wheel chair and unless the caravan is comple tely level does not drain, the shower area is dual use and forms part of th e kitchen floor. What I was thinking off was surrounding an area with linea r drains, say 1mx1.5m, so keeping the floor level so that when not in use t he wheelchair user can pass over it easily, and excess water can be scrappe d off after a shower into the drains. Caravan waste pipes are generally aro und 20mm internal diameter so am looking for linear drains around 20mm deep with a 20mm vertical outlet, or a vertical waste not too large which can b e adapted, and with a top flange to seal under the lino. Any other suggesti ons would be appreciated, but also where I might get the linear drains, or have them custom made?

Thanks for any ideas

steve

Reply to
Steve Jones

Wow, I'm surprised a wheelchair even fits through the door of, or can move around inside a caravan, I'm sure you've done your homework on that first though ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Andy Burns scribbled

Reads like a load of c*ck. No one is going to sit in a wheelchair and shower, the usual setup is to transfer to a seat that's part of the shower. The majority of caravan showers are too small for adults anyway, which is why sites have shower units, many of which have facilities for the disabled.

Reply to
Jonno

Yep, has an extra wide door and lift fitted

Reply to
Steve Jones

Are we talking caravan as in towing, or static caravan? Some of the latter can be quite large.

If towing, all I can say is... rust ahoy! (or are they made of newfangled non-ferrous metals these days?)

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

Not sure why its a load of old c*ck, seems to me you do not know what your talking about!! My wife uses a special shower wheelchair at home, look it up on the web, an d we would like to use it when caravaning at festivals where no disabled sh owering facilities etc, its a disabled touring caravan with wheelchair wide door and a lift and currently has a very poor wet room

Reply to
Steve Jones

I was thinking that a standard slot drain might work but wonder if they are too deep for your use? Whilst the surface would be flat the drain itself w ould need ot "hang" below. If this of interest, if you google "slot drains " there are a variety available.

This company seem to have a variety of options but look expensive :(

What is below the floor? Is there an "underfloor space" or chassis etc. imm ediately below?

Depending on this, the other thought I had was whether you could have a cov ered "gulley" (e.g. a bit of guttering covered with "floor")? When in norm al use the floor is fine. When your wife goes over it into the shower the relevant board can be lifted (maybe related to the tilt of the caravan) and the shower water goes down the "gulley". Very cheap option :)

Reply to
leenowell

On Thursday, September 24, 2015 at 4:01:07 PM UTC+1, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk wr ote:

re too deep for your use? Whilst the surface would be flat the drain itself would need ot "hang" below. If this of interest, if you google "slot drai ns" there are a variety available.

mmediately below?

overed "gulley" (e.g. a bit of guttering covered with "floor")? When in no rmal use the floor is fine. When your wife goes over it into the shower th e relevant board can be lifted (maybe related to the tilt of the caravan) a nd the shower water goes down the "gulley". Very cheap option :)

Thanks Have found cheaper ones on ebay, 20mm deep and around £50 each

Reply to
Steve Jones

are too deep for your use? Whilst the surface would be flat the drain itse lf would need ot "hang" below. If this of interest, if you google "slot dr ains" there are a variety available.

immediately below?

covered "gulley" (e.g. a bit of guttering covered with "floor")? When in normal use the floor is fine. When your wife goes over it into the shower the relevant board can be lifted (maybe related to the tilt of the caravan) and the shower water goes down the "gulley". Very cheap option :)

Maybe gully too, though it needs to be very shallow. Caravan shower trays d o not have a slope and rely on the water being push down the drain hole, so another option is set one in the floor and drill some more drain holes in each corner and fit a piece of wood over it when not in use. Caravan floors are solid wood about 50mm thick. thanks

Reply to
Steve Jones

No, caravan floors are not solid wood, they are sandwich construction with an insulation layer between top and bottom panels

Reply to
Mark Allread