Car water hoses

I remember 45 years back when I 'often/sometimes' had to replace rad hoses etc. I'm pedalling around a 1998 banger Corsa, 55k on the clock, gets very hot (suspected water prob) yet the hoses haven't blown (yet). What gives these days? Out of interest, how many cars in how many years have you had? I'll start with 6 in 45 years.

Reply to
brass monkey

Reliant van Hillman Imp Mini Spitfire Austin 1100 Spitfire Escort Astra Astra Cavalier Micra Focus Mazda 3 Mazda 2 in 42 years

Reply to
Invisible Man

15 in 40 years:

Morris Minor convertible Morris Minor hardtop Land Rover (Series I) Humber Hawk Morris 1100 Morris Marina Astra (Mark I) Astra (Mark II) Astra (Mark II) Astra (Mark II) Galaxy Galaxy Galaxy S-Max S-Max

Reply to
Bob Eager

Difficult to precisely repond to as I've had cars handed to me and I've handed on to my kids, (over a similar period). Between my wife and I, I think about 18.

Ford Prefect, A 35 (still have), Mini Estate, Maxi (x4), Cortina Mk2 Estate, Fiesta (x3), Rover 400, Allegro, Marina, Focus (x2), 306, 206cc.

Most of my working life, I have done anything between 30 and 50k per annum.

Current motor still doing over 50mpg is an 02 diesel Focus on 160k. Wife's diesel 206cc, just had its first MOT has only 10k on the clock!

Reply to
Clot

A35 van, brilliant, 6 years old, 25k, original tyres, £100 in 1965. Mini A40 Marina, loved the size of it. XR2, 16 yrs, loved it, new, £5789 in 1985. Corsa, 9 yrs, crap/reliable, gets from A to B, £5500 in 2001.

Reply to
brass monkey

Oh.. Bedford CA2 Triumph Herald 1100 saloon Austin Healey sprite MKII Triumph Herald 13/60 convertible. Auston Healey Sprite (1275). Triumph Spitfire 1300 VW golf. Hillman Hunter (I think) Commer Highwayman. Triumph Spitfire (mongrel). Opel Manta 2000 Astra SRi Jaguar XJS Nissan 200 SX Land Rover series III Jaguar XK8 Land Rover series III Land Rover Defender TD5 Jaguar XKR Land Rover Freelander Elddis Peugeot boxer camper.

Hmm. I make that 21.. there are e few more that belonged to girlfriends..

Still got a Freelander, a Series III and the Elddis camper. And the mongrel spitfire..that hasn't turned a wheel in 22 years

I ought to sell the series III. Its going to seed. Brilliant drive train tatty body, brakes and clutch need attention..

..42 years also

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Mini PKX 886M Fiesta ROY 367W (plate was in use on another car recently) Fiesta F742 GVS Fiesta P54 NBH (DVLA warned me someone else illegally using this plate). Fiesta xx08 xxx in 30 years.

On the Mini, a short 2" length of bellows hose from the water pump to the engine block was the most frequent failure. It was a bellows so you could squeeze it into place, but I got fed up with them failing, and fitted a proper piece of hose by temporarily loosening the water pump, and then it didn't fail again. I had the internal heater hose leak slowly, creating a stain on my accelerator shoe. The mini used to get worryingly hot in traffic jams, and I recall turning on the car heater and flinging the windows open to get the guage needle back out of the red on a few occasions when it was above

25C outside.

On second or third fiesta, the radiator was leaking from brand new and replaced under guarantee. Don't think I've had any other leaks on any of the fiestas.

I tried to buy a length of radiator hose to repair my brother's dishwasher a couple of years ago, but no car places sell it anymore, only manufacturer-supplied preformed pieces.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I remember it well and always found it difficult (a bastard) to replace.

Must have been a common prob :)

Progress.

Reply to
brass monkey

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "brass monkey" saying something like:

Austin A40 Hillman Super Minx Bedford CA Mini van Various Morris 1000 vans Armstrong-Siddley Star Sapphire Limo Bedford CF Commer minibus Capri Vauxhall Chevette Bedford HA van Victor FC 101 estate Renault 16 Victor VX 4/90 Hillman Avenger Morris Marina 1.8 estate Land Rover SIII LWB Safari Sunbeam porridge 13/1600 Sunbeam Ti 1600 Reliant Scimitar SE5a x2 Transit mk2 Land Rover SIII SWB Granada mk1 Golf mk2 Transit mk2 minibus Granada mk2 Transit mk6 Toyota Carina Reliant Scimitar SE6a

27 -ish over 40 years
Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

In message , brass monkey writes

Since 1967, and ignoring various Lambrettas,

A40 Farina Anglia Anglia Anglia Mk III Zodiac Singer Vogue Humber Sceptre Mk III Zephyr (Z Victor One) Mk II Cortina GT Morris Marina Fiesta Escort Orion Orion MG Maestro Rover 216 Minor Traveller Merc C200

Still have the final two.

Reply to
Graeme

Since 1986:

VW Scirroco (13th owner, and largely constructed from filler) Audi 100 (liked to blow head gaskets) Saab 99 (beautiful solid car, for 10 days - until somebody ice-skating in their car ploughed into it - excellent crash resistance) Saab 900 (superbly reliable and solid) Isuzu Trooper (most reliable of all - nothing ever went wrong in 120K miles) VW Transporter (dropped an exhaust valve after 2 weeks - suspect there was some funny business about this one) VW Caravelle (so far, pretty good)

Reply to
dom

Blocked rad, even if it is new... failed electric fan or thermo fan, one driven via a fan belt but with a hub that "slips" until it gets hot.

Austin 1100 Fiesta Escort Mondeo Land Rover Discovery II Land Rover Discovery II

Since 1978 (I think), 32 years.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I'd guess modern hoses are a sort of silicone rubber as they seem to last forever. I have an '85 Rover where the main top and bottom hoses only last a few years.

As a matter of interest, has your car got air-con? If the condenser on that gets blocked with leaves or dirt etc it will make the car run hot. For some reason they tend to get blocked more easily than a normal rad.

Not known a waterpump become inefficient. Break, yes. I'm on the third in

80,000 miles on my BMW.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The squeeze in place bellows type was an aftermarket device with a short life. Remove the head or pump and fit an ordinary one (reinforced) gave a much longer life.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Since 1962:-

Austin 7 MG Magnette ZA Triumph Mayflower Mini Van - several Riley Pathfinder Austin 1800 MG Midget 1275 Bentley S1 Bedford HA van Rover P6 3500 Rover P6 2000TC Rover P6 3500S Rover SD1 VDP EFI BMW E28 520 Ford Capri MkII 2 litre BMW E34 525 BMW E39 528

Not necessarily in that exact order - some were owned at the same time.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Since 1966, including bikes:

NSU Quickly Honda 50 Honda 175 Honda 70 VW Beetle Austin 1800 Renault 20 Volvo 244 Volvo 240 Mondeo

The two Volvos covered 20 years and about 350,000 miles between them.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Since 1982

Car (year of car)

Morris Minor Traveller 1100 (1966) Ford Escort 1.1 l(1972) Mini 1300 engine 998 gearbox (1968) Ford Cortina 1600e (1969) Ford Capri JPS 1.6 (1977) Ford Escort XR3 (1981) Ford Cortina Mk4 1.6GL (1978) Ford Capri MkIII 2.0 S (1980) Ford Capri Mk III 2.8 Injection (1986) Vauxhall Cavalier Mk2 1.6 LX (1987) Vauxhal Cavalier Mk3 2.0i GL (1990) Ford Escort MkIII 1.6GL (1982) Ford Escort MkII 1600 Sport (1978) Ford Fiesta XR2 (1989) Vauxhall Astra 1.8 SX (1990) VW Golf GTI 16v (1997) VW Passat TDI Sport (2000) Toyota Avensis T3x D4D (2003) Vauxhall Zafira 1.9 CDTI 150 Design (2006) Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCI Titanium X (2009)

Reply to
John

Crumbs, this takes me back. I recall these problems only too well.

I had 2 Mk 2 Fiesta diesels in which I did about 400k. The radiators were consumable items doing about 75k before replacement.

Reply to
Clot

In message , brass monkey writes

You do realise this information gives an opportunity for an assessment of our ages?

Morris E tourer (1935)

Morgan 4/4 series 2 (1956)

Marriage and various Minis, 4 in all.

LH drive MG 1100

Vauxhall Cavalier

Ford Orion (diesel)

Ford Focus (diesel)

Ford Fiesta (CR diesel) current

Various farm vehicles, Leyland Sherpa and Toyota Hilux (current)

14 in 50 years.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

No air-con, but I do wonder when the hoses will quit.

Reply to
brass monkey