Car Vacs

Seen threads about this in years gone by, but can anybody recommend a Car Vac from the currently available crop that works i.e. sucks up anything? SWMBO wants me to get one to save us from running the house vac outside, but not sure as the only one I've ever tried before was next to useless.

Also, corded or cordless? Argos seem to do a JCB 14.4V cordless job with lots of attachments and rotating beater for 60 quid. Pricey, but is it worth it?

Cheers,

Bill.

Reply to
Bill

The ones I've experienced are useless. I would stay with the "house vac", possibly buying a long length of hose if taking it outside is really objected to!

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Nah. I gave up. And bought a light cylinder cleaner with a long cord. Was about 50 quid.

Reply to
Mark Hewitt

Bought a small hand held mains vac from Aldi for £8. Does the trick.

A similar vac can be seen here:

s--p--o--n--i--x

To get adequate suction you need hundreds of watts. 500w is ok, 300w is poor but can be got usable with sufficiently good dsign (ie =A3). 500w @

12v =3D 41A, and you wont get that thru your car connector. Thus all 12v vacs are crap. 10-20w can probably suck up loose feathers.

NT

Reply to
bigcat

Cheap cordless eg B&D are pretty useless, flat in 5 mins and blow fine dust all over the place as the filter is very open weave. Only suitable for very light cleaning and getting crumbs/hairs out of the handbrake and carpets for which they are better than nothing.

Rusty

Reply to
Rusty

I was in a similar scenario, To be honest you won't totally get away from a mains power vac to thoroughly clean the car, I drag out my Dyson every now and then , the good news is that I also use a RAC 12v thing that came with a pressure washer , I was most impressed with it (the 12v vac) . They are handy for keeping on top of cleaning and you can leave it in the car but every now and then you will need to get the mains one out.

Reply to
Avanti

I got a mains cleaner from screwfix last year, it's a tad taller than a 'henry' but roughly the same shape. it's got quite a wide hose with various attachments, usefully one of those will connect to the rear end of sanders, circular saws etc to collect dust/shavings as you go along. the hose is about 4 or 5 metres long making it easy to get around the car and of course any dust that makes it past the filter is *outside* the car. it was about 40 or 50 quid and has proved very useful. hth

Please reply to the newsgroup - it's not my email address in the header!!

Reply to
Baffie