Car Starter

Any ideas on this:

Car starts well - even after 2 weeks in an airport car-park in December but: If I stall it when it is warm, it behaves as though the battery is flat - clunk - nothing. Eventually it recoveres and starts. Could it be down to residual cylinder compression?

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Nope.

Sounds like a sticky starter solenoid that only shows up it's warm.

Strip out starter, remove solenoid, clean plunger, reassemble.

Presume it's an older car (or French)?

Reply to
Scott M

I really wouldn't have thought so.

I would expect any cylinder pressure sufficient to cause cranking issues to dissipate within seconds, or at least the crankshaft would end in some position of cylinder pressure equilibrium.

Is it an auto?

I presume if manual you have tried out of gear, clutch up and down options?

Reply to
Fredxxx

Fredxxx wrote in news:m818om$1kp$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

2008 (30,000 miles) Honda Jazz
Reply to
DerbyBorn

Either battery terminal corrosion or starter solenoid/motor. Have known earth connection to chassis/engine block to be a problem.

Reply to
Capitol

Hybrid with auto? There are differing models.

Should have read the "clunk - nothing" which as Scott suggests is more likely a starter issue. Either brushes, as in my case recently, or something associated with the solenoid or solenoid contacts.

30,000 miles suggests the brushes should be ok, though can still be sticking.

Check silly things like the wiring before anything more drastic!

Reply to
Fredxxx

I'd go for starter motor brushes on the blink.

The clunk shows the solenoid is working, so its in the final circuit - solenoid contacts or brushes.

Screwdriver across the contact terminals should spin the starter if the brushes are ok.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No, it's an intermittent problem with the starting system. Could be anywhere from the ignition switch to the starter relay to the starter solenoid or the starter motor itself - or possibly with an earth wire somewhere.

Does it happen every time you try to re-start a hot engine, or only occasionally. Do the other electrics work normally when you have this problem. For example, are the headlights ok. Do they dim at all when you try to start the engine?

Reply to
Roger Mills

Not conclusive. A few ohms resistance in the main power starter motor cables or in the chassis bonding from the engine block will produce the same symptoms.

I'd check all the power connections, after trying to start a bit a poor one will be warm to hot. Try a jump start cable from engine block back to the battery chassis terminal to see if there is a possibilty of a poor engine/chassis connection.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

That IS the final circuit dear.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

DerbyBorn wrote

I had a Vauxhall with a Isuzu diesel engine. The ECU used to overheat and fail. A cup of water over it solved the problem, as a replacement part was getting on for £200.

Reply to
Sailor

The clunk is accompanied with the dash lights going off. I repeat that it always spins the engine over really fast when cold. It is only after an accidental stall that the problem shows. I must try to deliberately reproduce it.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

high resistance battery terminal. 100% definite

wiggle it, remove it, grease it, replace it, and tighten it.

I repeat that it

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

If it's a poor connection to the battery, the dash warning lights etc will go out or dim more than usual when you operate the starter.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You had a bad battery which sometimes spins a cold engine over normally?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The trouble with advising people to grease battey terminals is that they get it between post and clamp which then acts as a nice insulator. More than one dodgy starting car I've fixed by giving the terminals a good grease. Anyway, do lead terminals corrode? Can't say I've come across it.

Reply to
Scott M

Presumably you mean clean.

Yes.

I have.

Reply to
john james

But a very likely one.

I've had that. Directly related to ambient temperature, above about 5 C no problems starting. Get down to 0 C and it was very iffy on turning the engine over. Ambient back above 5 C, no problems again.

Don't think this is the problem here though. Dash lights going out when trying to start is the classic indication of bad connection(s) in the heavy duty starter motor wiring.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

No, its more specific than that. Its in general the positive terminal on the battery which feeds EVERY thing. high resistance anywhere else except the earth terminal wont cause the lamps to dim

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I don't know if you fixed this yet, but there is a good (if quiet) car maintenance group at uk.rec.cars.maintenance .

Reply to