Car reversing cameras

My car, a 52-plated Nissan Maxima QX has a factory-fitted satnav system which I don't use because (a) I haven't got the DVD and (b) even if I had, you can't overlay your own points of interest, such as LPG filling stations or supermarkets etc., etc., so I prefer to use my TomTom.

This means that there's a nice 5" (or whatever size) pop-up LCD colour screen doing nothing and just begging to be used for something else, the most obvious thing being as a display for a reversing camera.

I don't *need* a reversing camera and I certainly haven't got a lot of spare money knocking around at the moment to spend on what will basically be a toy, so has anyone got any experience of these cheapo wireless cameras on the bay of fleas

or any other ideas for the use of the screen?

Reply to
John

I assume you have investigated what sort of input the screen would need. Ods are its some non standard thing that nothing matches..grin.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

No experience of those, but I can say that my, factory fitted, reversing camera is one of the most useful gadgets I have had fitted to a car.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

In message , John writes

Once you have one you will wonder how you lived without it. A very useful addition to a car.

I would be wary about the one that you linked to, it appears to be designed to work with a GPS that the same company sells. Although it is probably still 1V pk to pk video. Also, does your sat nav have the option of an external video input?

Reply to
Bill

My car, a 52-plated Nissan Maxima QX has a factory-fitted satnav system which I don't use because (a) I haven't got the DVD and (b) even if I had, you can't overlay your own points of interest, such as LPG filling stations or supermarkets etc., etc., so I prefer to use my TomTom.

This means that there's a nice 5" (or whatever size) pop-up LCD colour screen doing nothing and just begging to be used for something else, the most obvious thing being as a display for a reversing camera.

I don't *need* a reversing camera and I certainly haven't got a lot of spare money knocking around at the moment to spend on what will basically be a toy, so has anyone got any experience of these cheapo wireless cameras on the bay of fleas

or any other ideas for the use of the screen?

Might be worth a chat with this lot...

Nthkentman

Having had one as standardon a previous car, I really miss it on this one. I can reverse fine without, but with one I could always be dead centre in a bay and positioned with my towball right to the line or within 10 mm of the car behind (whichever was closer).

I don't know what Nissan used in the Maxima, but mine was in an 04 plated Primera. It was a fixed screen, giving fuel computer displays, details of warnings, climate control, etc. It could also be used as Satnav, although that was not enabled. The camera was connected to it and whatever was on the display at the time was replaced by a black and white picture from the camera whenever reverse was selected. It might be worth finding out what input your screen has - it could well be a standard one. The one design fault it had was that having selected reverse and the screen having switched to camera, if my wife took her belt off in the expectation of getting out, the seatbelt warning would replace the camera view!

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

John laid this down on his screen :

Thanks guys. Got to say that I haven't yet looked to see what sort of input is there, but your input is appreciated :D

Reply to
John

I strive to avoid using the same word but with two slightly different meanings in the same sentence. Unless it's done for comic effect of course.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Not that particular model, but I did use a reversing camera that was designed to be mounted in the number plate as a rear view camera in a van. It provided an image on a monitor shaped like a reversing mirror and it confused passengers because some of them couldn't work out how a mirror could work through a steel bulkhead and a pair of doors that had no windows. Very useful, high quality image. No makers name on the packaging, sadly.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Normally, so would I, but I've been trying to lose a bit of weight recently and been off alcohol for about two months. Last night my willpower let me down somewhat and by the time I'd made that posting I'd had four pints of Old Speckled Hen and was feeling *very* merry. You're lucky I could type at all :')

Reply to
John

Cheers Steve, I'll see if fleabay offers anything similar. I have to confess that the one I linked to was just the first one I found - searching for "wireless reversing camera" provides over 900 items so maybe there'll be something similar to what you describe.

Reply to
John

In article , John scribeth thus

Nice beer that OSH, better than the IPA piss GK make;!...

Reply to
tony sayer

My last 2 company cars have had reversing cameras. I find it odd jumping into one of my cars, none of which have one.

Makes parking a doddle.

Reply to
SteveH

This is the no-name unit that I bought:

it was bought complete with monitor in a kit like this:

Steve Firth

kit, which was similar to this one:

Steve Firth

In message , tony sayer writes

( Thinks about the £700 worth of beer he brought back from belgium)

Reply to
geoff

I bought a wireless one from Costco last year

good, but it picks up security cameras as I drive along

Reply to
geoff

That's amusing. It is actually typical of drunken speech to use the same word in quick succession. Ask my wife.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Not a patch on the bottle conditioned beers though. Try the Cornish ones in M & S, or the Cropton one in Tesco or White Shield in Asda.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

I wish I had three or more cars.