Car port design

Hi all,

I am planning on building a car port, preferably before the end of this decade.... But I have some design questions.

Size is going to be about 5.5m wide by about 7m long. I was going to support it by 150mm square posts, about 6 per side at approx. 1.6m centers (some design constraints to miss a doorway etc.) Roof was going to be double pitched, so I can collect the water from each side. I also assumed that this would be 'lighter' and allow better run-off than a single pitched roof.

And so the questions (if you please...) - Will the uprights be sufficient? I would brace these against the connect edges along the length to prevent movement.

Some of these uprights will be standing on existing concrete, while one area needs concreting over first - would I be better to get the posts cemented in or use metposts (or similar - I have a mind to get the local fabricators to make something more robust).

For the roof design, my local timber merchant said 2x4 would be sufficient, and it comes in a max of 4.2m lengths - so not sufficient to span it. So with the double pitch, I would have a horizontal joist about half way up - giving greater headroom inside. Within the internal triangle, I would then have an inverted V from the apex, or else a triangular piece of ply in the apex to brace the structure. Any thoughts?

Roof covering - I was planning on ply to provide additional rigidity, covered by roofing felt.

Any thoughts or opinions would be gratefully received!

David.

Reply to
DavidL

Sufficient? 12 x 150mm posts at 1.6m centres would hold up a section of the M25 easily.

Let me know when its finished, in the event of a nuclear war I'd like to shelter under it.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Well, you know, I think I might have inherited from my father the belt and braces engineering approach....

Reply to
DavidL

Well, you know, I think I might have inherited from my father the belt and braces engineering approach....

Man after my own heart. A bit of over-engineering is good for the soul when looking at the final job.

Reply to
Graham

Have a look in C&A Supplies catalogue , a lot of useful info there, I've just finished reroofing mine using polycarb sheets instead of corrugated, it meant I had to change the supporting structure from purlin to rafter fixing. C&A Supplies are on the net Cheers Don

Reply to
Donwill