Car - lights on, indicator won't flash.

Gah! Off on holiday tomorrow (driving to Okehapmpton from Cambs)

Car (2000 X reg mondeo Estate) has picked today to develop a fault.

With the car lights on, the off side indicators don't flash, they just light up. Lights off they work fine.

I guess some sort of fault/short is causing them to come on with the lights. I'm off to have a look now, but any tips for tracking it down if it doesn't get done quickly?

Reply to
chris French

chris French gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

I'd be looking for a poor earth to probably the rear light cluster.

Reply to
Adrian

Agreed - seems common on Fords. Do the brake lights also affect it and possibly dim a little as the indicator tries to flash.

Reply to
John

In message , John writes

No don't think the problem was that, didn't get those symptoms. I've had that problem before on other cars/the trailer.

The problems has now gone away (as opposed to being fixed). I poked about it bit, checking connections, checking light clusters etc. and now it's working ok.

Which is of course unsatisfactory, 'cos don't know if there is a problem waiting to re-occur, but just have to wait and see I guess.

Reply to
chris French

chris French gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Is the indicator working?

Yes-no-yes-no-yes-no...

Reply to
Adrian

In message , Adrian writes

Nope, but it does go no-yes-no-yes-no-yes......

Reply to
chris French

That is *such* an old joke. Didn't stop my oily mender chap from using it recently, though.

Reply to
Huge

Earthing is a likely contender but another one is sometimes an apparently un-related blown fuse in the fuse box. could be worth a check. Otherwise brush up on your hand signals!!

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Empty the half pint of water trapped in the rear light cluster?

Reply to
Andy Burns

In message , chris French wrote

In older cars it took the current in both flasher bulbs in order for the lights to flash and a very slow flash or the remaining bulb just stuck on was a sign of a blown bulb at the other end of the car.

Reply to
Alan

Not the ones I use!

However the hand signals in the Highway code are still legal.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

That is not how I remember it. The remaining bulb would flash at twice the speed making the flasher unit sound demented.

Reply to
Tinkerer

In message , Alan writes

Yeah, but these worked fine when the main lights weren't turned on.

Reply to
chris French

Hi Can't remember if the Mondeo has the light switch and indicators on the same stalk if it does check the ring that turns on the lights if its sloppy (side to side) the switch can short out when the lights are turned on.(spent hrs looking for it years ago) if not ignore post..

CJ

Reply to
cj

In message , cj writes

:-) thanks.

No, it has the lights on a knob on the dash

Reply to
chris French

Goh that used to happen with bad earths in the lighting cluster with mechanical flashers

Thought i'd seen the last of it circa 1980

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Most mondeos I have seen have no lights and a knob a bit behind the dash.

Mondeo man. That's the name of it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I had something similar when a dual-filament stop-rear bulb developed a short between the two filaments.

Reply to
Bob Martin

My father-in-law back in the eighties was very proud of his Fiat 128 because he had noticed that the manufacturers had arranged it so that the front side lights came on when you braked so that pedestrians at crossings knew you were stopping. He was quite miffed when, after I replaced the shorting dual filament bulb that fed stop light current straight into the side light circuit, it didn't do it any more.

Reply to
Tinkerer

I found my problem when I noticed that the engine kept running after I switched off the ignition but stopped when I took my foot off the foot-brake.

Reply to
Bob Martin