Car LED's

Define "high level" are you talking about the lumens of the source or a physical position?

Rear fog lights have to be within 250mm and 1000mm of the ground.

stop and position lights have to be within 350mm and 1500mm of the ground.
are some exceptions but we is talking cars here. I don't think the 1994 or 2005 amendments have altered those distances.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I think that (auto adjust, not 'too high') is an actual requirement for HID.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Same on mine (an S-Max). I guess it would be OK for some drivers, but not where I adjust the steering wheel to.

Yes, I only use mine a few times a year, on the same foggy woodland road (my usual route to/from work).

Reply to
Bob Eager

Bob Eager gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

It is. Together with lens cleaning.

Reply to
Adrian

You may well be right. But they still seem far too high to me, certainly higher than any other car I've known, road signs reflect 100 yrds away. Dealer insists they are set correctly and legal.

Reply to
Simon C.

"Dave Liquorice" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Side rear stops, yes. Centre "long way from ground" ones can be significantly further, if the ones fitted to the top of van rear doors are anything to go by...

I'd suspect they're covered by the '94 amendments, since they were required on all cars from around '98 or so.

Reply to
Adrian

Trouble is, a lot of drivers think that fog lights are yellow and consider the white ones as driving lamps :-(

Dave

Reply to
Dave

ROTFLMAO

He does come up with some good quotes though.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

I don't suffer from that, but I can see why you want the strobing frequency increasing. My problem is that I have very good night vision and some of these lights leave black hole when the driver takes his foot off the brake.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

I don't recall a day in the last five years where fog lights were actually a benefit.

Reply to
dennis

No car that I have owned or driven has had a rear fog indicator light in the instrument panel. It has always been a separate light near the lights switch or part of the switch itself.

On my current car both front and rear fog light switches are hidden behind the rim of the steering wheel, guess where the indicators are? Yep, on those hidden switches. I have moved the rear fog one so that I now only have to move my head a little to see it's status.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Just another example of poor driving.. you don't sit stationary with you brakes on.

Reply to
dennis

Not a foot brake, you don't. The morons don't think about applying the hand brake, some think of it as a parking brake.

The reason I asked this, is that I am leaving an even bigger distance between the car in front and myself, due to my eye sensitivity to light.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

The lighting regulations are not the be all and end all though - anything that contravenes them cannot be acted upon if they are a standard part (or factory fit option) of a vehicle that has been type approved in another EU country.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Auto adjust is required on most, but not all HID installations - non-auto adjust lights are permitted on a vehicle with self-levelling suspension.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Think the early Rangies did - same as my SD1. All the warning lights in one panel directly in front of the driver - between speedo and revcounter.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Had an 'interesting' discussion with the MOT place when I had the first MOT after fitting an HID conversion to the SD1. The beam pattern was fine

- but he said the headlights should be self levelling. Pointed out the suspension was. And it had headlight washers. Got the MOT. Nothing mentioned at subsequent ones as it seems the regs don't cover conversions anyway.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Steve Walker gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Umm, no. Think about a right-hand-only rear foglight, and left-hand- traffic dip beam...

Reply to
Adrian

Adrian gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Damn. The _other_ right...

Reply to
Adrian

Height mainly. It's when they are in your direct forward vision at traffic lights they are at their worst. The maximum light level is horizintal from the lamp making eye height ones the worst.

At least Corsas seem to have reverted to normal height.

Reply to
<me9