Car Keyed

If its only scratched the lacquer, a decent pro repair could be to buff the lacquer down to the paint below, and re lacquer and buff back to blend.

The problems start when the metallic paint itself needs touching up. Its almost impossible to get a fair math with new paint, as the luster depends critically in what direction it was sprayed in the first place.

Even whole panel resprays dont looks as good as the original factory finish.

One of the reason old money tends to drive 15 year old ford sierras and the like ;-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Oh, indeed. But that isn't what you said.

Reply to
Huge

Weird. It worked well on both mine.

Reply to
Huge

That's the brand I used. Apart from turning the cloth black no real improvement.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Perhaps you polished it off too vigorously.

Reply to
Bruce

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Dave Plowman (News)" saying something like:

Probably not at the moment, iwt. Might be a good time to get such things done and haggle a price.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I would like to know this too, tcut does not seem to be the answer for me since the scratches are just marks in the clear coat . A good coat of wax helps a bit. Have you got a BMW or something ? ;-)

Reply to
srp

There are basically two ways to 'remove' a scratch.

Fill it in. Very difficult to get an invisible repair.

Flatten the surrounding paint to the depth of the scratch. This is how T-Cut etc works.

Obviously if the scratch is deeper than the paint layer the second won't work. But neither will the first if the metallic basecoat is damaged.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)