Car Insurance (OT)

Well it has never stopped you before has it?

Reply to
ARWadsworth

snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk...

You used the term "RTA" in answer to a post about "TPF&T". It certainly looks like you think they are the same thing.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

The poster that posted TPF&T replied to mine about RTA, however I don't think he thought they were the same. They are related posts, not answers to specific questions.

Just to be clear..

RTA is the bare minimum you can drive a car with.. it covers personal injury to others and not much else. TP covers damage to others properties as well TPF&T adds theft of vehicle and fire Comprehensive adds others but they do vary.

Reply to
dennis

Yup. No confusion intended, and I know they're not the same thing. In fact, as you say, RTA isn't even the same as Third Party only, which used to be the cheapest cover when I was a teenager with a clapped out old banger that cost me a week's wages when I bought it.

Yup. And my original proposal for insurance as a part of the fuel cost would be for a slightly improved version of the current RTA cover.

Cars and most goods can be replaced easily, if not necessarily cheaply. People may need 24/7 care for life.

Reply to
John Williamson

has a map giving a police estimate of uninsured vehicles. Metropolitan London is over 10% and some of the Northern conurbations are similar.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Speaking to a motor insurance assessor (in the pub) over the weekend. People who try to reduce their motor insurance cost by reducing the risk covered actually turn out to be a significantly higher risk. It can work out cheaper, but mostly it doesn't. Now that 3rd party liability claims massively swamp all other costs (such as theft, fire, etc) due to claims management companies, most of the cost of your cover is for the legal minimum part of the cover anyway, which wasn't the case ~20 years ago when TP,F,T and TP insurance really were cheaper.

He thinks premiums are going to rocket over next few years, unless claims management companies are somehow outlawed.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

And so they should be. We were pestered to distraction when a car drove in front of me at a roundabout but no one was the slightest bit hurt. My wife is still getting text messages, some 16 months later, saying she could be entitled to a few thousand pounds. It's a bloody disgrace !

Reply to
Andy Cap

Andy Cap gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

You do realise they're just totally random, don't you?

Reply to
Adrian

No I hadn't thought about that, because her no. is so little used, that only she and Orange know it exists, but I guess you're right ! :-{

Reply to
Andy Cap

Andy Cap gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

"random".

The spammers just shove their stuff out to any and all validly-formatted number. Since there's no delivery failures on SMS, if somebody's stupid enough to reply "STOP", then they're instantly added to the "We've got a live one here..." list and deluged to kingdom come.

Reply to
Adrian

They aren't totally random.

Various people who become aware of an accident (such as the insurers, accident repair company, etc) can sell that information. Actually, this information is so valuable to the claims management companies that the accident repair companies now make more money from selling that information than they do from repairing the damage.

This has generated a secondary effect of people selling bogus crash details to get their hands on some of this cash too. That's probably what's happened if you are suddenly getting several calls about a crash. Some may be random, but many are simply just made up to rip-off money from the rich claims management companies.

It's all a thoroughly bent industry, including the insurance companies now.

It's all paid for by your rapidly increasing motor insurance premiums.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

snipped-for-privacy@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

So how do you explain them being received by SWMBO, who has never made a car insurance claim in her life?

Reply to
Adrian

If it's calls and texts you're on about, then a lot of them are random, or explainable by single digit errors.

I get a lot of texts about certain types of service on a cellphone number I very rarely use, and only give to a few people. It's a number on 3, if that's of any interest.

Reply to
John Williamson

Try "people selling bogus crash details".

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q