Car insurance costs bucking the trend.

On Sunday 22 December 2013 17:57 Andrew Gabriel wrote in uk.d-i-y:

I do hope this is a wind up :-|

Reply to
Tim Watts

When you next ask for a quote be sure to tell them this. You might even be able to get a letter from the fleet manager saying that you haven't crashed it.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Yes and no.

Insurers will be able to check your licence for points/validity "live" soon, when a new DVLA hook-up comes onstream.

Have to admit, I can't get that excited about it.

Not exactly new news.

money

Reply to
Adrian

What that article doesn't say is that the insurers will be able to obtain details on historic points that have expired from the licence and they will base the risk on both historic and currently recorded driving offences.

Reply to
alan

Try it again but add a parent (adult?) with a clean licence as a second driver (NOT as the main driver!) and see what happens to the premium.

On Sunday 22 December 2013 23:46 alan wrote in uk.d-i-y:

How can you be sure? Wouldn't spent points be treated like spent convictions?

Just saying...

Reply to
Tim Watts

On Sunday 22 December 2013 23:11 Adrian wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Oh...

However it will not make much difference to thinks I suspect:

IME my current insirance renewal is always beated (by a long way) by another company - every time. Even the current company are unwilling to match it. I usually change insurers every 2 years so that's probably why my premiums got hiked so as to make such a difference. From this year, all my details are on ComapreTheMarket so that will get replayed every year from now on!

Reply to
Tim Watts

Pass the tin foil hat, somebody.

Reply to
Adrian

No. There are different periods for Points being spent for totting up purposes Points coming off license Points being available to insurance companies

The last one will be the longest.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

On Monday 23 December 2013 09:31 Andrew Gabriel wrote in uk.d-i-y:

That's nasty... It's like saying "points are erased, except they're not". It really ought to be consistent...

Reply to
Tim Watts

In article , Andrew Gabriel writes

And they will be breaking the law if they take into account offences expired under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act.

As far as getting a quote without providing a driving license number, I don't think that will happen. The industry doesn't want to discourage competition by insisting on unnecessary details at the quote stage. A bit like obtaining quotes without the reg number now, no problem, but you'll need to provide full (confirmed) details at the time the policy is taken out.

Reply to
fred

I'm not saying its not nasty or wrong but its certainly not new. From a discussion on Piston Heads back in 2008 ====

*After 3 years they no longer count for totting up purposes (ie, if after 3.5 years you get 9 points in addition to your 3, even though you have 12 you keep your licence) *After 4 years you can have them removed from your licence *Most insurance companies will ask if you have had any motoring convictions within the last 5 years. ===== The "new" thing here is that from some time next year you will have to tell the insurance company the drivers licence number of every named driver on a policy and that the insurance companies will then be able to check points on line rather than relying on you to tell them.

On one hand it is very "big brother" ish, but on the other hand it removes their ability to not pay out because you didn't tell them some "material information".

Reply to
news

It's looooong been like that, probably since points were introduced (1980s?)

3yrs for totting-up. 4yrs before they can be physically removed from the licence. 5yrs to declare to insurers.
Reply to
Adrian

Ohnoes! People will have to stop lying to get a cheaper insurance quote...

Reply to
Adrian

[...]

Nope:

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

Drink driving - 11 years

Reply to
alan

Though it's quite normal to be considering insuring a car for which you don't know the reg

But it's not normal to consider insuring an unknown person

tim

Reply to
tim.....

Last time I bought a new car, Ford gave me a week's free insurance specifically to get around this issue.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Sometimes it's more expensive, because it puts you into a different risk category from the insurer's perspective.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel