Car headlight (no response on Car Maintenance)

My car (Honda Civic) has a 4 position dial to tune the headlight aim. One has become detrimental and either sticks or "hunts" intermittently.

To get inside would mean removing the bumper so I am not too keen - I would like to get an idea of how the mechanism operates. Not sure if the fault is likely to be something like a dirty commutator - or a seized mechanism.

Slapping the wing gets it to move a bit - have used contact cleaner on the plug.

Any ideas?

Reply to
john

Last winter I slid into a fallen tree at about 2mph. No actual damage but my nearside headlamp then pointed up into the trees. This is a Volvo V70. I was able to remove the headlamp and spotted that a small polythene ball had popped out of a slotted forked piece. I popped it back and all was fine. While I was in there I 'clarted' everything first in WD40 to clean it then Vaselene to protect it. So basically what I'm saying is spray WD40 all over any exposed parts while hitting the wing and/or activating the thumb switched that activate the headlamp.

Chris.

Reply to
mcbrien410

Thanks - the trouble is that everthing is inside the plastic shell. I don't want to try and remove it without a clue of what I might be up against. Any idea how the notors know when to stop? There are 4 positions.

Reply to
john

john laid this down on his screen :

My own guess would be....

A small motor driving a screw thread which sets the beam. A potentiometer which provides feedback of the position of motor to the controller. The switch provides 4 resistor values and the controller compares the voltage from these against the feedback voltage, driving the one way or the other until the two voltages are a close match. There has to be an acceptable 'close match' (hystrerisis), otherwise the motor would be constantly hunting to find a none acheivable perfect match.

Your description of the problem suggests it could be (in most likely order)...

  1. Intermitant remote potentiometer or intermitant wiring between.
  2. The switch.
  3. The controller.
Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Can you get a Haynes manual from a public library?

Reply to
Michael Chare