Car headlamp bulb

The magical maintenance fairy does it?

Reply to
Adrian

In my last car, a Citroen, the battery needed to be removed to get at the near side headlamp.

Reply to
charles

My TVR requires you to remove the front wheel to access the hatch which you remove to replace headlamp bulbs.

Reply to
Huge

Quite. My old Rover had 2 x 6 watt bulbs to light the interior. And similar sized ones as reading lights. The problem being much larger tungsten get hot and would need better quality/larger fittings.

I've now replaced them with 2 x 2 watt star LEDs in each fitting - now looks like you're filming inside. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Most of my driving is in France where a set of spare bulbs is required to be carried. My 10 yr old Renault has only needed rear bulbs replacing, so far - easy to do as long as you carry a torx driver.

Reply to
A. N. Other

Yes, I carry the obligatory spare set, too. Not that this set would be useful in the case of a headlamp bulb. Impossible to exchange in my C4 and I have to take it to the garage.

Reply to
Tim Streater

They no longer require that. It wouldn't be practical for many modern cars, fitted with LED and HID lights.

Reply to
Nightjar

Those are also LED on the latest model of my car.

Reply to
Nightjar

Yes - but I wouldn't bet a high power LED has a longer life than other types. Sidelights, etc are a different matter.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I used to drive a smart that required you to remove the entire front. The newer smart doesn't.

Reply to
dennis

I understand that the Mk1 Focus nearside is virtually impossible, and the easiest way is to remove the whole headlight (and that's also not too easy). Fortunately, I have not yet had to find out if this is true. I wonder what the guys at Halfords (who do the such things for you while you wait) think about these unnecessary design 'features'.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

In my mind, one of the few good value things they provide. Aside from refitting any sealing boot etc properly, it's difficult to get wrong.

Reply to
RJH

Think when it gets to the point where I have to ask Halfords to change a bulb for me it will also be time to give up driving.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

There again, if you have the time, it could be a good form of Saturday morning spectator sport.

Reply to
Bill

We have a Halfords just 5 minutes walk away (never been in there). I might just wander down some day.

Reply to
Bob Eager

At one time, I'd have said exactly the same. However, these days, when vehicle designers make even the simplest of DIY maintenance almost impossible, it might be a darn sight easier to pay a few quid, and let someone who's familiar with the procedure do it.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

I'm not convinced it's all the fault of the production engineers. Styling trends and legislation says "biiig light units". Marketing and legislation says "lots of electronics". Packaging says "Something's gotta give, guys".

So... when VERY few of the actual buying public would even give the first flying toss about changing their own bulbs...

Reply to
Adrian

I have a local one too - and do use it for some things. Although they seem to be moving away from what I'd describe as the bits you might want to buy for DIY car maintenance.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I tried and failed twice on our C4 to change the headlamp blub. Seems to involve getting your hand through a 3"-wide sharp-edged hole.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Don't get me wrong - I'd only go down to watch the bulb changing!

One of the most sexist shops around (and I've heard that a lot). The closest example was a niece who did her Year in Industry with them. Completely male dominated, chauvinist, etc...she left after two months and went to work for B&Q for the rest of her year. She has a good job with them now, in head office.

(SWMBO was one of Mr Block and Mr Quayle's earlier employees, here in Herne Bay; she didn't last long either, became a trainee programmer!)

Reply to
Bob Eager