Car door handle

Not too impressed so far. Filled in the form giving an accurate discription, and got four emails all from the same source asking me to phone their mobile . Which I did. They don't have one the right colour, and were asking more than a new unpainted one for those they have.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Probably Mazak. I forget the exact contents, but Zinc and Copper are definitely in there, plus maybe Manganese?

It's very easy to cast, hence it's popularity.

Reply to
Huge

I have used

they have been around for a while. I was very, very impressed with the service. Give 'em a whirl & see if it works for you. I have never been asked to call anyone back - on the occasions I have used them, I have had several calls within 20 minutes in general.

J.B.

Reply to
Jerry Built

Why, and why "FFS"? If a second-hand one with the correct paint on it won't match, then neither will a new one.

J.B.

Reply to
Jerry Built

No, that's what black bodge tape is for.

Reply to
Peter Parry

FFS they come unpainted and then the colour is 'colour matched' by the paint supplier or sprayer, just like most other car bodywork. If you are correct I must have been imagining working with paint sprayers all these years !

Get a clue :~(

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

How about soldering it?

Reply to
Grunff

You can't solder Mazak.

Reply to
Huge

I'd say because of the size it would have to be tinned then sweated together. And I don't think the paint would survive that.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

that, Huge. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Why not paint a new one yourself? A few coats of lacquer on top, cut back and job done.

Reply to
StealthUK

If its only 100 quids why all the fuss?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

well you can actually, tho possibly not with standard soldering irons.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I doubt that the paint on the handle exactly matches the rest of the car anyway.

Reply to
StealthUK

I would be *very* surprised of it didn't and there is NO reason why it shouldn't, certainly on like a BMW.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Wanna bet? ;-)

I've never tried, but it's mainly Zinc, no? That should be solderable.

Reply to
Grunff

Because I can't get one off the shelf - thought that was obvious. It has to be ordered, and they want to fit it too - so you can more than double the 100 quid - plus the aggro of getting the car to the garage and collecting it afterwards.

You don't own a car? ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yep.

I have, and I certainly couldn't. The melting point is too close to solder.

Reply to
Huge

Don't know - I've had good relults soldering large lumps of copper without getting the whole lump up to temp. And that's /copper/, which

*really* conducts heat.

The paint may or may not survive, but I don't think you have any mileage in glueing it; it'll last exactly one week then fall apart.

Reply to
Grunff

If you take the door handle to a good local car paint supplier, he will make you up a spray can of exactly colour matched paint. The cost is quite low and the colour matching has to be experienced to be believed!

Regards Capitol

Reply to
Capitol