Car Cig socket

I have a separate car cigarette socket that I want to wire to a 12V battery the wires out the back are Black and Black with White stripe. Is the black'n'white wire the positive?

Reply to
Vass

Vass coughed up some electrons that declared:

Probably - but it would be best to trace them with a multimeter.

Sometimes white can be used to denote 0V too. It's all a bit random.

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

Maybe, maybe not.

I suggest that if you don't have the kit to check you don't have the skills/knowledge to fiddle.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

bugger, was hoping 2 hours of hunting for the multimeter was to be avoided. Quicker to hook up a battery, wire and lightbulb from a torch :-) thanks anyway

Reply to
Vass

Can't you take the socket apart to see which wire is connected to the outer part (-ve) and the contact at the bottom (+ve)?

Toby...

Reply to
Toby

If those that "have the skills/knowledge" kept to an industry standard ..... but that would be too easy eh ?

Reply to
Vass

Makes the assumption that this is a modern car -ve earth car... B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

But, It won't be them in the wrong when it starts smokin' !!

Most people with the skills and knowledge prefer to meter these things out for themselves rather than take stupid risks.

Reply to
Adrian C

Dave Liquorice coughed up some electrons that declared:

Makes the assumption that this is a modern car with 12V battery

;->>>

Reply to
Tim S

lectrons that declared:

And HTF will that identify the positive?

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Also makes the assumption that it's anything to do with a car.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

How about teaching those without the skills, instead of just telling them they don't have them?

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

I actually assumed it was not going to be installed in a car, as the OP said it was a seperate socket (s)he wanted to wire to a 12V battery!

Toby...

Reply to
Toby

yep, no car involved

Reply to
Vass

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Tim S saying something like:

Makes the assumption that this is a car.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

In addition to other comments, include a fuse in the battery terminal lead, near the battery - an in-line fuse from a car accessory shop would do. Slightly reduces the chance of it burning down your house.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

On 29 Apr 2009 17:24:52 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) had this to say:

Agreed, but buy a decent quality fuse holder capable of handling the sort of current you intend to draw - some will merely cope with 2 or 3 amps :-)

Reply to
Frank Erskine

In message , Vass writes

Just open it up and have a look to see which is the pin

Reply to
geoff

I think the OP has the skills (mentioned battery, bulb, multimeter), just needs to be aware that the skills should be used, instead of taking risks that a cable polarity marking scheme exists. It doesn't, which is the point I was making. I wasn't calling the OP stupid, I was saying that the risks were stupid.

Reply to
Adrian C

He only needs to see which wire is connected to which terminal. Batt/wire/bulb is a continuity tester...

Reply to
Bob Eager