Car camera.

Bought one of those Lidl were selling this week. It's quite a nice bit of kit - but claims to be 1080p. Playing back something recorded on it looks like it is struggling to do even SD - on this pretty decent monitor.

So is it likely to be the data reduction used by the recorder which is degrading things - or simply lies about the camera performance?

I've not yet fed the camera into a monitor to see what that is like 'live'.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Do you have a high speed memory card? I have a cheap camera and discovered that without the right card, it won't record in HD. Doesn't even offer the option of the highest definition in the menu system without the right card.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Dave Plowman (News) formulated on Wednesday :

My first camera claimed to be HD. The recorded image was HD, but the image pixels were just SD doubled up - the resolution was no better than SD. It also failed to stop recording when power was removed, plus several other issues. I returned it for a refund.

My latest one is genuine HD on the front camera (it has front and rear), with SD on the rear one. Good quality photos, it does what it says on the tin and has worked fine for +12months.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Ah - not having a micro one lying around I popped down to Halfords on a Sunday and bought one for a camera. By the price - about a tenner for an

8G one - I'd expect it to be solid gold.

It is showing all the available resolutions in the menu with the card installed - and says 1080 in the display.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

does it have a "C" with 10 written inside it? It means class 10 and is really the minimum needed for full HD video. Most camera cards in shops were only class 4 last time I looked before buying from 7dayshop.com.

Reply to
dennis

Yes - says Class 10. With a magnifying glass. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

May I point you to my post of the 24/7/14 about this very camera. Having read and absorbed the replies I visited

as recommended. That put me off the Lidl one on both price and operation.

Reply to
Broadback

I can remember the thread vaguely - but can't find it now. But at least I can always take it back for a refund.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If it is like my (much cheaper) Ebay one, the "live" output from the jack is downsampled to SD and displayed as NTSC or PAL composite. The viewfinder goes blank when you plug in the jack, but it continues to record to the SD card just the same.

mine claims WXGA: 1280 x 960 but what the native resolution of the CMOS chip is I know not.

Reply to
Graham.