Car battery jumper packs

I have bought floureon replacement battery packs for dyson mini hoovers and they have worked just fine for the last two years.

Reply to
MrCheerful

Well, all I can say is I mentioned one earlier that has been consistently good in my use and IIRC the reviews were excellent.

"Mixed reviews" on Amazon is a red flag to me - it usually means:

1) The manufacturing quality is inconsistent; 2) Some users do not really *use* the product to its claimed limits.
Reply to
Tim Watts

Agreed and that's why I just took a chance on an 18V 3Ah NiMH battery for my Makita combi. I'd had it for a couple of weeks or so when there was an e-mail from Ebay re. a review. The battery charged well, has plenty of torque and has done some work, but not enough to be equivalent to 1 of the original 1.4Ah NiCads, so I don't yet know. When it's managed to go through a couple more recharges and use I'll post back here on how it's doing.

Reply to
PeterC

Something similar here:

RJH

Cheers Tim, I went on to buy this one because of your reply and it arrived yesterday. Now I just need a mate with a 'basic' car that we can disconnect the battery from and try it - I don't want to do that on my own car as it'll lose all sorts of settings :D

Reply to
Munch
[...]

Are you suggesting that you would disconnect the main vehicle battery, and try to start and run from the jumper pack?

If so, I would strongly discourage that idea - it's not what these starter packs are for, and could cause you all kinds of expensive pain.

If you want to test the pack's ability to start a car with a discharged battery (which is what they are designed to do), then just leave the lights on until the battery voltage is below the threshold for cranking.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Are you sure? Plenty of YouTube videos of folk doing precisely this with this battery packs. They're quite capable of supplying enough amps to crank a cold engine.

And then you risk damaging you vehicle battery...

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Until it starts and the alternator surges the voltage through the roof without the damping effect of a lead battery.

Once? No way.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Don't believe that one has 51 Amp-hours for a minute. But they do work, you just have to follow the instructions. Some of us in uk.d-i-y understand the adiabatic equation.

Reply to
newshound

It probably is 51Ahr. It will have a 3.7V 51Ahr battery in it probably at the 10hr rate. That is not the same as a 51Ahr 12V car battery.

Reply to
dennis

On reflection, you could be right. Of course the figure is only meaningful if you state explicitly the voltage at which these amps are delivered.

My similar sized Floureon T3 only claims 18 amp-hours (no voltage stated).

Reply to
newshound