(by default, I take it that you mean the setting then the car is started)
--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk

Wouldn't this be like your central heating reverting to some factory default whenever you went away for a bit ? (In other words, a bloody stupid thing to do.) I have good old knobs for my climate control.
--
John
Mail john rather than nospam...

It would certainly be strange if it always re-set to the same figure, unless you'd disconnected the battery.
Mine (BMW) remembers everything, but if you switch the entire system off totally by running the fan down past minimum, it will come on at minimum fan speed after the next switch on. Can't say this matters to me as I never switch it off anyway.
--
*A picture may be worth a thousand words, but it uses up a thousand times more
memory.

Not on mine, it doesn't! Try it....remember to press Auto after setting the desired default. Let me know...
--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk

No... tried that last night... Set the temperature to 19 pressed AUTO. This morning the setting has returned to 22 degrees. I am pretty sure that this has always been the behaviour (last 5 years).
Colin

Wonder if you've got a faulty memory backup battery? Might be worth doing a search on the subject - there are plenty of sites that tell you how to replace BMW ones.
--
*Re-elect nobody

Perhaps mine has later firmware! It's just over 2 years old...
--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk

Modern Ford cars switch on the AC automatically in similar circumstances - to remove moisture from the interior when de-misting the windows..
--
Alan

BMW recommend you use recirc and spray the stuff into the internal air intake.
--
*If PROGRESS is for advancement, what does that make CONGRESS mean?

Thanks for that. My thoughts on going through the outside was that I'd pick up an extra section of duct from the windscreen to the fresh/recirc mixer.
Colin

The problem appears to be only in the A/C heat exchanger itself - the bacteria grow on the very cold surface, rather than the surrounding trunking.
--
*Eschew obfuscation *