Car Air Conditioning.

Ford had sold Jaguar by then - and electrically heated screens were introduced by Ford in the mid '80s. My old man had a B-reg (very early production) Mk3 Granada with heated screen.

Reply to
Adrian

There is no choice about it. The eyes will focus on whats there and in fog they will focus on the wires or even the dirt on the screen rather than the nothingness of the fog. By the time the distant object is actually focused on it may be too late.

Legally no. Would i drive without them, not a chance uness its life or death.

Reply to
dennis

Just use more cooler water, the effect is the same, you don't need hot water.

Reply to
dennis

Oh rubbish dennis.

You can ficus on anything you want up to and including non existent objects.

Lets face it, most of the Greens and the Left spend thirr whole lives doing that. It's just a matter of practice

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

well you do. If the water lacks sufficient heat to melt the ice, you will just end up with more ice..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Which will melt when you pour on more water.

Reply to
dennis

,

well, like I said, it's not a problem I've had, but we are all different

Reply to
Chris French

yeah, but one hot kettle equals a whole basin full of cold water, and in fact it doesn't., Water - cold water at say 5C is almost useless at melting ice.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Well, no hotter than you can keep your hand immersed in. And, yes, it's important to clear the screen before setting off using the wipers (just as you *must* when using de-icing fluid).

The main thing is that very warm water can clear and heat the glassware all round far faster than electric heating (which places a heavy toll on the battery just when it can least cope) and allow you to set off with a completely clear view, unlike a lot of motorists I've observed on early winter's mornings who peer through small cleared spots in their windscreens, often with no clear side view to boot! Accidents waiting to happen!

Reply to
Johnny B Good

You might be surprised at how quick an electric screen can be. Also, no one has mentioned one important downside of the hot water technique, namely, all that hot water ends up on the ground around your car and in persistently cold weather, you can end up making a dangerous ice rink around your car. Done it many times!

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

A watering can full (5L) and mains temp (perhaps 5 in winter)? Always worked fine for me.

Not that we've had any proper frosts this winter...

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

screen/

If conditions are such that a refreeze is likely you don't want to use the wipers as that will gurantee a smeared film of ice on the screen.

Not very convient 400 yds down the road unless you carry another jug of warm water with you, just in case. B-)

Washer fluid that won't freeze at -10 C is a solution.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice