Car Air Conditioning.

Well RR doesn't, I have one. In the NHS we had spinning disc humidifiers. Massive problems when the legionnaires disease issue raised it's head

Reply to
harry

Or a Jag. Best thing that Jaguar ever got out of Ford ownership. Dunno if they still have heated screens.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Completely agree. When I first got a Mondeo with heated screen (second hand and standard fitment), I was rather amused that my boss's brand new company Jaguar (at that time owned by Ford) still had to be scraped. :-)

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Seems odd to have a car with full climate control and heated screen/ mirrors, but no windscreen wipers.

Reply to
Adrian

They are cr@p if they are the ceapo ones with wires in rather than the evaporated metal film ones.

In the fog you tend to focus on the wires and can't see whats in the fog.

Reply to
dennis

Not driven our Fiesta much in fog. Bright Sun can reflect off the wires. Nowhere as big a problem as the windscreen *head up display* of the plastic finish over the dash in strong Sun. Generally caused by some silicone polish enthusiast at the last service:-(

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Crap? An exceedingly minor downside compared to the alternative.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Odd, must have just missed being fitted with them. My 60 reg Jag has an electric screen.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

although where we live

Reply to
Chris French

In message , Tim Lamb writes

Yup, having driven fords with such windscreens for the last about 12 years, and pretty regularly driving in Fenland fog, I can confidently say that Dennis is talking rubbish.

At least for me anyway, I can see that some people might not like the little wiggly wires, but as you say, only really notice them in sun sometimes, even then I don't see it as any sort of issue.

Reply to
Chris French

That just says you are getting old and can't focus on the wires. Do you need specs to read?

Reply to
dennis

Dave Liquorice wrote on 11/01/2016 :

My car realises its cold, the screens plus mirrors liable to mist and takes the appropriate steps to deal with the misting. I still miss the Ford wires in the screen though, it was very effective, instant and didn't nanny you - you made the decisions.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

It happens that The Natural Philosopher formulated :

I used to do that to the company car, never would risk the screen cracking on my own car. It was very effective, even with the delayed heat from a diesel, but the water used needed to be hot enough.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

It sounds to me rather that he can choose to not focus on the wires, which is very different. Do you need specs. to drive?

Reply to
Davey

Nope, I can focus on the wires just fine.

Nope.

I am short sighted, so probably can't see them without my glasses on, but then II wear my glasses when I'm driving

Reply to
Chris French

It may be that some do, and some don't. Just because yours doesn't does not mean automatically that all don't, just as not all cars have sunroofs.

The legionnaires disease problem is one of the reasons that it's not common in cars. Cost is the other, of course, and the need to keep a tank topped up.

Reply to
Davey

In message , Harry Bloomfield writes

Never have (not heard of someone cracking a windscreen doing it.

Reply to
Chris French

windscreens are pretty tough glass and laminated IIRC

by the time you get the kettle to the car, its probably 80-90C

and by the times its mixed with the ice, its not much more than luke warm where it hasn't run off.

you keep pouring until ice doesn't re form, then a quick windscreen-wipe and if the car has got a decent heater, its ready to roll.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I've done it for years, even with windscreens with big bullseyes and short cracks coming from them. It's never ONCE so much as spread a crack a single mm.

Tap-hot, not boiling.

Reply to
Adrian

As have I. A second pouring of water gets rid of it.

Reply to
Adrian