Capping chimney

In this weeks deluge of rain I can hear water dripping down my chimney (the rain seems to be coming vertically down here) and a couple of damp spots have appeared on the wall in an upstairs bedroom where a chimney breast used to be. The chimney breast is sealed off now with an air vent included. The air vent is just above the damp spots.

Would capping the chimney off be the best bet seeing as the chimney isn't used? Would a roofer or general builder be best for this job (I may also need the flashing round the roof base of a chimney done too). What sort of price should I be looking to pay for two chimneys to be capped in Bradford?

Reply to
Conrad Edwards

Forgot to say it's an end terrace, one chimney on the roof apex along the partition wall, the other chimney at the edge of the roof.

Reply to
Conrad Edwards

One comment I would make is if it is capped off, make sure it is ventilated near the top too. This wasn't done with one of mine, and

20 years later I had a dripping wet flue from condensation which has got in, but can't get out. Properly ventilating it at the top so there is a draft up the chimney has dried it out over many months. I did this in the loft, by taking a half brick out of the stack. (Also changed the bottom ventilation to be to the outside rather than sucking air out of the room.)
20 years ago, it cost me £80 including repointing the chiney (which would have been more accurately described as rebuilding the chimney, as the chap took it mostly to pieces first). That was someone who was happy to walk around on my roof with no scaffolding or anything, which they might not do nowadays. It was a day's work, and chimney is still fine today.
Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

If the top of your pot is level rather than one of those exotic ones with spikey tops you could ask for an 'eliphant's foot' - a porcelain dome with holes underneath. Works great and very easy to fit. Phil

Reply to
P.R.Brady

In article , Andrew Gabriel writes

I was looking at a similar situation recently and wondered whether two vents to the outside (high and low) would make much of a draught as they will be at the same temperature. Much as I didn't want to lose all the warm room air up the flue I suggested a small vent in the room to get airflow from the chimney effect.

Reply to
fred