Capping a chimney

Just a quick question folks...

With all this windy weather we've been having, the noise down our (unused)upstairs chimney breasts is horrendous. If I get caps fitted in the unused chimney stacks (3 out of 4 on the house) will it stop said howling down the chimney?

Cheers

Steve

Reply to
Oldskoolskater

Not really Steve. In fact, in some cases, it can make it worse. If the fireplaces are totally unused, then boarding them over and fitting a small grille might be the best way to go. If the top pots are completely open to the elements as well, then it might be worth putting tight rain caps on them to stop moisture and nesting birds getting in to the chimney. But try not to seal them off completely, and always try to keep them ventilated if you can.

Reply to
BigWallop

You can get pots called pepper pots or elephant feet. These will stop the birds but allow important ventilation to your flue.

I would fit these, brick up the opening and fit a small air vent in th eopening. Unless of course you have bad condensation........

Reply to
Space_Cowby

Space_Cowby