capping 15mm gas pipe

If i wanted to remove an old gas fire, is the procedure to cap the gas (15mm copper) pipe really as simple as

  1. turn off gas
  2. cut the 15mm pipe i wish to cap
3 fit one of the following
turn gas back on and check for leaks

I would cap the pipe in an easily accessible area, as it is a compression fit.

Do I need any gas jointing compound on the threads or any where else?

Thanks

Reply to
noname

Yes. But TBH if this is a long-term capping off of the tube I would use a yorkshire or capillary feed solder cap to blank it off.

Reply to
Steve Firth

A definite no no unless you are a competent person. Get the CORGI man in and be safe.

Reply to
m1ss_wh1te

"Steve Firth" wrote

In which case it's a whole different story wrt purging gas etc presumably

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

Step 0 - check for leaks first - makes any problems found at 4 less frustrating to find!

5 - After replacing test point screw on meter, check that for leaks with a leak detector spray.

No, not with a compression fitting. Some people use some PTFE on the thread purely to act as a lubricant - it makes no difference to the actual sealing however since that is achieved by the olive not the threaded bit of the fitting.

Reply to
John Rumm

John Rumm has the measure of this job. There is absolutely no problem using the compression fitting (a little boss/hawk white compound on the olive makes for a surer job).

Do read the gas fitting FAQ. Please.

Reply to
Ed Sirett