Cannot light Blowlamp

Often they don't.

You can if you are quick about it, does a match in a saucer of petrol..

My blowlamp is non adjustable and will only ignite if the flow rate is turned down. Turned right up, it blows itself out.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No need for all that blowing out and scrabbling around these days.

Get something like these:

Screwfix ones seem a bit more expensive than when I got mine, so I expect the old hands here can root out a much better price for you (same goes for the canisters: if you buy mail order from S, get some refills at the same time as they tend to be expensive in ordinary diy outlets.) I have one similar to the one with the tilted up burner (they seem to have changed the position of the regulator knob - on mine it is at the back, and rather difficult to turn with bare fingers), and thanks to the simplicity of the click start, find it so useful, I could do with one in the garage, one in the shed, one in the kitchen...

Brilliant!

Spamlet

how weird, it looks just the other way round.

Reply to
meow2222

Try using the right end of the binoculars.

Reply to
Steve Firth

try reading whats written and not guessing at dumb conclusions, as several people did for whatever reason.

Reply to
meow2222

It was always the way taught to light Bunsen burners but I never realised the significance of what was happening till much later.

As has been said most fuel gases have a limited range of ignition when premixed with air but here we are talking about a mix which is correct but the flame won't hold on the burner straight away, so there is something about heat feedback having an effect on the flame holding here.

The unmixed (air holes closed) flame is a diffusion flame at the air:fuel gas interface so there is always an oxygen molecule and heat available to dissociate it at the edge of the flame but it doesn't burn completely, the hot oxygen atom strips off hydrogen from the fuel gas, leaving a glowing bit of carbon which then finds another oxygen to combine with, hence the yellow flame.

There is a parallel here with the difference between diesel injection (initially diffuse flame) and spark ignition (air and fuel premixed in almost the exact ratio).

Reply to
AJH

Good advice, you should take it. Because you've failed to understand what I said.

OTOH, "meow", so you have to be a gold-plated f****it.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Some jolly interesting answers.

The real answer (probably) is that the retaining screw on the nozzle is loose and the nozzle has slid forward slightly. This changes the position of the gas outlet nozzle to the air-inlet holes enough to cause said problem. How did I learn this gem of wisdom? Sodding useless sodding Wickes carp.

Reply to
Onetap

...here's your bra>> Re gas/air mixes, its too much air content that makes it unlightable,

Reply to
meow2222

The "brainless" is only your worthless opinion. Since you don't appear to have understood it, the brainless responses are yours.

Reply to
Steve Firth

You took a wild guess, one that contradicts the basics about fire we're all taught at school at age 9, one thats just dumb, completely misunderstood the situation, and stated it as a fact. Then you keep insisting you interpreted things correctly, despite the foolishness of it.

To make it worse it was also stated (by whom I dont recall) that if it has too rich a mix it wont burn, when anyone can figure out that the rich mix will meet air and dilute & burn. Now, I'm done, say whatever you want. As many personal sillies as you like, all yours.

Reply to
meow2222

Go and learn what the fire triangle is, then realise why you're talking crap.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I do hate to interrupt a good flame war, but it seems to have burnt itself out.

So, may I just point out that the flame velocity in natural gas is about 13.5 fps and a gas velocity above this, even if it is a stoichiometric gas/air mix, can blow the flame off the end of the torch.

Sorry to interrupt, please do carry on.

Reply to
Onetap

Never muddy a good flame war with facts.

However its completely consistent with my experience.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Indeed. Though that doesnt change the fact that one can light a torch with its airholes blocked, which is what mr silly was arguing about.

Reply to
meow2222

Yawn, no one was arguing such a thing. Like most morons you grasped the wrong end of the stick.

Reply to
Steve Firth

yet here you are being silly again...

"Go and learn what the fire triangle is, then realise why you're talking crap."

its gotten funny. enjoy.

Reply to
meow2222

You deserve one another.

Reply to
Onetap

Please please please - can we have fewer ad hominem attacks and a bit more proper discussion of real matters?

Certain posters seem to relish picking on others - this ng appears to be getting worse...

After all, it's (supposed to be) all about d-i-y, where nobody is a professional at the subject.

Less of these 'Mr Silly", "morons" and so on please. Even 'gotten' isn't really current English :-)

Reply to
Frank Erskine

And at what point did I say that it was not possible to light a torch with its airholes blocked?

Reply to
Steve Firth