Can your kids read a map?

There is another aspect which has not been mentioned. If a route is planned using a map, then there is a sense of where one is going to go, which towns and cities are going to be passed, what the geography will be like, etc. But when I recently drove to Southern Germany using the SatNav built in to a hire car, following the device's directions gave no sense of where we were. I know we passed Frankfurt, but I didn't know when. And at the end of the journey, the SatNav said we were at our destination when we were about 10 kms short. Luckily, we had a paper map with us, and found the correct route onwards. I don't know whose software the SatNav used, but the car was a new Vausxhall.

- Davey.

Reply to
Davey

Sure, but if you had had a smartphone, you could have watched the map on that and see that that way.

And if you had had a smartphone, you could have used that for the last 10Km trivially.

And you could have used it for the entire trip so you didn't have to fart around with an unfamiliar satnav in the rental car too.

Reply to
78lp

Since you are so convinced that I need one, and I'm not, I accept your kind offer of a free one. Thank you.

Reply to
Davey

While I do have a spare one, the one I previously used which I have replaced with a better one that does more and does it better, I wouldn't give it to someone as bone headed as you, I'd give it to someone who can't afford one who is likely to have much more of a clue about when to use it.

Reply to
78lp

Which ones?

Reply to
ARW

Birmingham certainly felt too far West.

Reply to
Andy Burns

That is what makes the test so easy:-)

Reply to
ARW

York and Cardiff, too.

Reply to
charles

Which proves that I don't need one! Thank you. End of conversation.

Reply to
Davey

No one said you need one.

What was being discussed was whether some like you are too stupid to work out when they are useful.

Just another of your silly little bone headed fantasys.

Reply to
78lp