Can you use adhesives to fix floorboards to joists?

I never see any mention of using adhesives like "No-nails" whe fixing floorboards to joists. Is there a reason? Coupled with hidden screws this would give a neat job.

Reply to
dairich

The forces required to keep a board against another board and correct for inevitably untrue timber coupled with the forces occuring due to natural contraction expansion of the timber are just to great for glue. Nails or screw should be used of sufficient gauge and depth, and these are quite substantial.

Reply to
visionset

=========================== If appearance is important you can use the hidden nailing method with T&G flooring.

Cic.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am using the free version of SPAMfighter for private users. It has removed 470 spam emails to date. Paying users do not have this message in their emails. Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Reply to
Cicero

Yes. Only a lunatic would glue floorboards down.

Reply to
EricP

Can you be more specific. Is the problem in the traffic or the brittleness of old glue joints? There are flexible adhesives being used in many situations where they would have been dismissed years ago. I screwed & glued legs on a table 20 years ago & they are still solid.

Reply to
dairich

The joists and flooring together function as a structural component. It's important that they're well coupled to each other, i.e. where every board crosses every joist.

Glue can produce strong joints where the joint is clamped up firmly. "Glue bridges" as would inevitably happen with the variable gaps between joists and boards, are not strong.

Exactly, tightly mechanically coupled joint + glue = strong joint

Reply to
dom

The important part being "screwed AND glued "

Reply to
Stuart

Although if buying shed boards be careful .The ones I got from Wickes to put under my bath said they could not be "secret nailed" .Not sure why .Maybe because they weren't as thick as timber merchants boards or maybe the tongue/grooves werent in the centre of the board .I've no idea

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

Stuart wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

All of a sudden there was a loud bang on investigation it was found that his ledge and braced doors which he had lovingly glued together had split in two right down the centre board.

There had been no where for them to adjust to the drying atmosphere. the stress must have been phenominal Chris

Reply to
Chris

So how do they do it on aeroplane wings, they stretch and waft (bend) about in the breeze a lot, and can cope with temperature extremes and expansion.

Reply to
Anonymous