Can you screw into exterior grade 18mm plywood?

Having never worked with plywood, (Sheltered life) I need to ask if it is possible to drive screws into exterior grade plywood 18mm thick?

I want to attach some battens to it, onto which will go pvc cladding.

Would I perhaps be better off nailing the battens onto the plywood?

Steve............

Reply to
dog-man

Oh yes screws be fine

Mike C

dog-man wrote:

Reply to
Mike

Use Spax or similar - will go straight in with a powered screwdriver/drill, no predrilling.

dom

either predrill pilot hole or use thin screws. And be sure to use left handed screws on ply.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Go on then - I'll bite: what's that all about??

David

Reply to
Lobster

Eh ? (curious !)

Reply to
Colin Wilson

heh, I didnt think any of us lot would bite. Poor man :(

NT

Reply to
meow2222

On 14 Aug 2006 09:52:58 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@care2.com wrote: |And be sure to use left |handed screws on ply.

Ha! Ha!

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

The message from "dog-man" contains these words:

Yes - but screwing into the edge isn't good - it splits.

Reply to
Guy King

No, no, no. Only ever use left handed screws into the right hand end grain. If you use left handed screws into the left hand end grain the glue goes west.

R.

Reply to
Richard A Downing FBCS CITP

Doh! You have been using it back to front all these years!

Reply to
PeTe33

Use screws..galvanised (Or similar) would be best as they are being used outside.

shokka

Reply to
Shokka

Remember to use a magnetised screwdriver bit with the 'n' pole nearest the screw ('s' pole if u r in the southern hemisphere.

shokka

Reply to
Shokka

Either. Its bloody tough stuff.

Wore out three bits on my screwdriver ramming 3" screws THROUGH it making a shower base..should have drilled pilot holes....

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

What the f*ck for, you prat?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Don't confuse the cat with facts.

It's another Drivel come to haunt us.

Instead of combis, it's lime mortar.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

| |Richard A Downing FBCS CITP wrote: | |> No, no, no. Only ever use left handed screws into the right hand end |> grain. If you use left handed screws into the left hand end grain the |> glue goes west. | |Remember to use a magnetised screwdriver bit with the 'n' pole nearest |the screw ('s' pole if u r in the southern hemisphere.

Ha Ha.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

for humour. I assume you did work that out really. Would b worrying othewise.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Alternatively, screw through the ply into the battens. Depends how thich the battens are.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq