can you heat-bend abs/pvc solvent weld waste pipe?

nothing drastic - just a long radius bend to suit a fiddly bit.

I was thinking I could clip it into shape (or someway towards final shape) then toast it a bit with a heat gun, and repeat as necess..?

can anyone confirm plse?

Cheers Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Can't confirm the waste - have done this with oval conduit which is too thin to cold bend.

I *suspect* it will do no harm if it clipped in, to give it some heat provided you don't melt it obviously. From my recollection of doing oval (slight offset bend to clear a joist) it took a moderate amount of heat

- more than boiling water, to get it to adopt a permanant bend.

The other thing is waste is quite thick walled, so it might be hard to get it to go. Playing more of the heat on the face that's trying to stretch may have the best results.

Reply to
Tim Watts

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Jim K saying something like:

Yep, it's a common requirement. Just don't overdo it and end up with a collapsed wrinkly tube. You'll soon get the hang of it if you practice on a bit of scrap.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

If you can clip it into final shape, then there is probably no need for anything further!

I have done a bend in a 40mm waste pipe once like that - I needed about

10 degrees or so rather than a large radius. I heated to soften, and it kinked a bit on the bend but was still serviceable. I suspect it would be hard to do a long length.
Reply to
John Rumm

If you've got a steam cleaner or a wallpaper stripper you can use it (them) to provide safe heat by using the hose without attachments.

A TV programme showed the use of a length of 100mm soil pipe (sealed at the ends - steam hose attached) in conjunction with a wallpaper stripper to bend wood so you could try that if your pipe is quite long.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero