Can you buy 9 inch long nails?

I need some long 'spikes' and am currently using some 9 inch "Tent Pegs" from a camping shop...

But obviously they are quite expensive, as they are sold as "Tent Pegs".

Can you buy 9" long nails? If so, what sort of place would be able to supply them?

Jon

Reply to
jon.p.weaver

I think you will find that 'nails' stop at 6". Over that size they are known as 'spikes'. Don't know where you would get them though.

Dave

Reply to
david lang

How about cutting lengths off some rebar with an angle grinder. Cut at an angle and you have a sharp point as well.

Reply to
John Rumm

Nice suggestion, but I need them to be 'shiny' and 'nice looking'...

I have been to a bunch of places at lunchtime and been told the same thing. 6" is the longest.

I guess I will have to get more from the Camping shop and pay a little extra than they are worth.. They are not too expensive, so its not a hugh problem, but I would like to find a nice cheap source!

Reply to
jon.p.weaver

Use stainless round bar, then.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Dark Angel

I'm intrigued as to what your doing with the pegs?

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Jonwald....

You can download them here

PeTe33

I just knew it :)

Everyone I have asked about "9 Inch Nails" bursts into song :)

Jon

Reply to
jon.p.weaver

Basically, I am a kite flyer and need some really strong 'pegs' to hold the kite down..

I have tried a bunch of things but more are hard to see in the ground.. The best is a long spike with an orange golfball on the end.. The 'offical' version of these cost about =A34, but they have a really low quality golf ball and a thin 'spike'.

So, I have made my own and they are MUCH better than the 'official' ones.. So, now I just need to make 1/2 dozen or so, so that I have a couple for each kite and a few spares.

Sourcing Orange balls was hard enough, but the spikes are proving to be even harder.

Jon

Reply to
jon.p.weaver

I was looking to buy very long nails for a job but never went ahead but I am sure that this place

them. There web site doesn't show anything but they do sell things that are not on the web site, I bought some very long 6mm countersunk screws but they were not on the site so you could ring them.

Kevin

Reply to
kajr

Can't you just paint your balls whatever colour you like? You used to be able to buy day-glo orange spray paint, if you put that on them, they'll stick out a mile.

How do you secure your balls to these spikes?

Reply to
Chris Bacon

L section angle iron. You can buy this cheaply with "tent-peg" ends already on it from the big mil-surplus dealers (like Anchor in Ripley) as it's made for securing antennae. Otherwise go to a steel stockist and buy yourself a cheap angle grinder.

I can't imagine using '9" nails' to fasten kites down. I use a dog screw for mine and even that's marginal for the stronger pullers.

(BTW - did you ever work with Mark de Roussier?)

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I think you'd better take that to alt.binaries.s&m

Reply to
Richard Conway

Hi,

Are you not able to take something from the construction industry;

not exactly what you're looking for, but maybe an avenue to investigate.

HTHs - Oliver

Reply to
oli4uk

Jon's got so many tools i'm suprised he hasn't bought a forge to make his own.

:¬)

Reply to
PeTe33

Jesus!

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

No, I think it was just his hands (wrists) and feet, but I may be wrong.

:¬)

Reply to
PeTe33

Try here;

Huge

Have you tried those corkscrew-like pegs sold in camping shops to be used to anchor dogs' leads to? I find them brilliant for anchoring straps for caravan awnings and gazebos, and are not too expensive (surprisingly).

Reply to
john.stumbles