Can't get a plumber

Going on holiday tomorrow morning and the soldered joint to a tap in the downstairs toilet is leaking (one drip every ten seconds). I've been trying to get a plumber to come out before I go, but can't get one for love nor money(maybe they're all in Teuksbury :^()))). Is there any tape I can buy tomorrow morning, before I go, to wrap around the joint and hold it for two weeks till I get back? Pete

Reply to
Pete Bull

Wouldn't it be simpler and safer to just turn the water off at the main stop c*ck before you leave?

Reply to
Mike Clarke

If the tap is mains fed, just turn the water off till you get back. Place a container under the drip on top of several towels. If its fed from the tank in the loft, turn the water off & drain the tank by running the cold taps in the bathroom.

You could use Loctite Repair Express Power Putty, I guess the DIY sheds sell it.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 20:09:47 +0100, "Pete Bull" mused:

Turn the mains stop tap off, turn off the boiler\immersion heater etc..., open all taps thoughout the house.

This of course means the heating will be off whilst you are away, but tbh I wouldn't expect a repair putty thingy to fit to the outside of a wet pipe and set solid before tomorrow morning.

Reply to
Lurch