Can sticky back plastic be used outside?

Has anyone had any experience of using Fablon (ie sticky back plastic) outside? It's just that I've got some small letters to cut out for a shop sign and thought I might try using black Fablon. It's vinyl, just like other stick-on lettering (though possibly not as thick) and it would be used on a flat, clean surface -but I don't know whether the adhesive would be weatherproof.

Any advice?

NL

Reply to
Nige

Might peel of with the heat if direct sunlight exposed to it?

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

If you need to cut them out yourself, why not cut a stencil instead and paint the lettering?

Reply to
Rob Morley

from seeing it used I know the adhesive isnt water soluble. And that its pretty horrid stuff.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

The pukka stuff for Vinyl signs isn't expensive and comes in various grades up to a 10 year grade, even the most basic grade is better than Fablon which FWIR used to shrink and ooze adhesive.

See

DG

Reply to
Derek ^

Don't do it. We covered some old wallpapering tables in it* and left them outside..it peeled, faded and lifted and cracked.

HOWEVER professionally cut VINYL like what you put on cars and so on is infinitely better and designed for the job.

Contact nearest display and marketing people - there is one in every town making up signs for peoples' white vans!!

Or try Halfords etc for basic ranges of go faster stripes and lettering. .

*Fablon. As I am trying to say, all sticky back plastic is NOT created equal. Get the right one and it works - at least onto a smooth gloss surface.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Only in conjunction with 2 yoghurt pots and a cardboard tube.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman