Can I Use a Fused Outlet Here?

Hi all

Kitchen wiring again! I sort of referred to this in "Provision for Cooker - Junction Box", but wanted to be clear.

I intend to supply a cooker point with 6mm cable. Then take the switched cooker feed from there to a fused flex outlet also using 6mm cable -

will provide a feed to a hard wired single oven, but can easily be replaced with a 6mm cable outlet
should er-indoors decide she wants a double oven instead.

The cooker mcb is 32A. Am I OK to use the fused outlet on a 6mm radial in this way? It would appear to be similar to being incorporated in a ring rated at 32A to me!

Finally, if the oven selected is plug in, the auxiliary socket on the cooker point would be used.

Does this all make sense and is it good electrical practice?

TIA

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

TheScullster wibbled on Friday 09 July 2010 09:20

Absolutely - 32A radial circuits are a standard (though rare in domestic) design. Ditto you could put a 13A socket on the end as I plan to do for a gas cooker, but still have the potential to switch to an electric cooker later.

Reply to
Tim Watts

yup

indeed

Sounds ok so far.

Reply to
John Rumm

"John Rumm" wrote

Thanks John and Tim

That's a chunk of my weekend sorted then!

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

For a kind of load you're going to get from even the smallest oven, i'd be for cutting the plug off and using a switched fused connection unit. Nasty foreign habit running things like ovens from sockets.

Reply to
cpvh

wrote

For a kind of load you're going to get from even the smallest oven, i'd be for cutting the plug off and using a switched fused connection unit. Nasty foreign habit running things like ovens from sockets.

Interestingly, the various single ovens that er-indoors is interested in seem to have a mix of plug/hard wired connection specified. These are all from the Bosch technical brochure where some of the higher power models have plugs and the lower powered ones are hard wired.

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

Any chance of a couple of model numers please that have different specs regarding the plugs/hardwired please?

Cheers

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

-

>>> This will provide a feed to a hard wired single oven, but can easily be

outlet

> should er-indoors decide she wants a double oven instead.

A single over is probably a peak load of 2kW, which will reduce substantially with diversity from its thermostatic behaviour. So in this circumstance I don't feel that argument really applies. Something like a

3kW immersion heater however, would be far less appropriate on a plug.
Reply to
John Rumm