can I repair this oven

Hi Folks,

My creda built in oven (forgot to bring the model number to work but is about 5 years old) has developed an intermittent fault. Without any use it switches itself on and off randomly. When it is off cutting and reinstating the power appears to make no difference (it remains off). It will power up again only when it is good an ready!

Power is getting to it (the above gas hob always has power to provide sparks) so I am assuming this would be a problem with an overheating sensor. However, when it does come back on I can use the oven without it tripping off (at least for 30 minutes).

Am I correct in assuming that it is a overheating sensor that is a fault here? If so could a fairly competent DIY'er (I have a little background in electronics) buy the correct sensor and replace it?

Thanks for your help.

Cheers

Dave

Reply to
magnatomdb

If it comes on when its meant to be off, the problem is the on/off switch in the oven. Nothing else could make it come on when not meant to. You can usually get replacement parts ok. With some ovens the on/off switch isnt as simple as it sounds.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Do you mean it loses power so things like a clock go out or it starts to heat of its own accord?

It's more likely to be a loose wire somewhere. Oven overheat devices tend to be fail once and forever or require a manual reset.

Reply to
Peter Parry

The message from "magnatomdb" contains these words:

It sounds likely.

There are two likely possibilities.

1) the sensor's dead or dying. Replacing the cutout will cure the problem. 2) the oven is overheating and the cutout's just doing its job properly.

Obviously if it's the latter then you'll want to address the underlying issue before replacing the sensor 'cos it may not be faulty.

I don't know how yours works, but there's often a case-fan which draws air between the oven inner and the outer casing to keep it cool. If this is either sluggish 'cos of grot or the airways are clogged that may account for the overheating.

Reply to
Guy King

The message from Peter Parry contains these words:

Not on my AEG. It self-resets and the whole sorry business starts over again.

Reply to
Guy King

Not an assumption I would make. Does it have a time clock? Does the display stay lit during outages? A dodgy time clock PCB has the capability of causing faults like this.

Be aware that a modern electric oven gets itself into a very bad state after 3-4 years. Spade connectors seem to get annealed, slack and oxidised, unsupported wires entering spade connectors embrittled with broken strands, insulation hardened and burnt.

Altogether V. Nasty.

DG

Reply to
Derek ^

Thanks guys. It seems like there is disagreement on this one! To clarify:

The cooker switches on an off when it is not being used, this to me suggets that power is getting to it but that something is cutting the oven and timer on and off. It does have a time clock and this goes off at the same time as the oven doesn't work.

I'll probably open it up at the weekend and have a look

Cheers

Dave

Guy K>

Reply to