can I place the leccy meter box above the gas box

Usually gas and leccy is located side by side on the extenal wall, - is there any regulation or other that can stop me from re-position the leccy box over the gas ?

Reply to
elpee

Yes - _you're_ not allowed to move _their_ equipment.

Any attempt to do so might be dangerous, and you would be working on an unfused cable connected directly to the main in the street.

Search youtube.com for "flashover" you might get an idea what i'm talking about. I'm not terribly good on figures these days, but the prospective fault current on an LV cable can be something like 15KA (15,000 Amps) IIRC.

Add to that that some cables don't like to be disturbed after they've been in-situ for a number of years, and the odds are it won't be long enough to do what you want anyway, and...

...last but not least:

There are regs for the max and min height from the floor for meter cupboards. Your idea would almost certainly fall outside these.

If and when you decide to fluck this up yourself, bear in mind that when you get out of the local burns unit, your electricity supply will have been cut off for safety and you'll have to pay for a new supply anyway...

Call your local REC and ask for a quote for a service alteration :-p

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Err, thought it was 8kA.

I'll second everything that CW has said. When you've attended the odd inquest or two it tends to harden the attitude.

I'll put a kinder interpretation on your choice of words than CW and assume that was *really* what you intended to do. They'll be fully aware of minimum separation requirements, mounting heights, etc.

Reply to
The Wanderer

Thank you for you quick responses - I worded my question incorrectly - I didn't plan to do the move myself - I would get the leccy company as well as the leccy involved.

Do you know where I can find those Min/max floor distances/ measurements so I can establish if it's a plan worth pursuing. ?

Thanks Larry

Reply to
elpee

On 26 May 2007 01:32:43 -0700, elpee mused:

Ring the REC, get them out for a quote. They'll tell you where it can and can't go.

Reply to
Lurch

16 kA, surely for single-phase supplies up to 100 A, and 18 kA for 3-ph supplies up to 100 kVA.

Higher figures apply, I believe, in the former LEB area, where they presumably use larger distribution transformers and cables, and more heavily interconnected LV networks(?)

Reply to
Andy Wade

NJUG 6 (National Joint Utilities Group) is the 'common' spec for service arrangements for new properties, but the NJUG web site says all their standards are currently under review and are not available for d/l.

Talk to your local distribution company, they'll be able to give you the info. As it's just info you're looking for at this stage, tell them and they'll probably have a leaflet they could post to you.

Reply to
The Wanderer

I can't remember, but I know it's enough to make a quick kebab out of you...

Reply to
Colin Wilson

I don't know about kebabs, but I thought it was possible to cook sausages on an ordinary 13A supply?

Owain

Reply to
Owain