Can I mend my oven?

Hi all,
My oven has packed up. It's an electric freestander (with a gas hob). The oven fan and light come on when I turn the knob, but it doesn't get hot. There's a smaller top oven & grill which still work, and the electric ignition for the gas still works.
I'm thinking it's either the electronic timer / clock thingy (which I guess I can't fix), or some kind of internal thermostat has failed (which maybe I can).
How do I diagnose the cause? Am I likely to be able to repair this myself?
--
jc

Remove the -not from email

Jeremy Collins wrote:

I've fixed a few such things: Suggestion: Make sure your electrical connections to the new elements are 'good and tight'. Hold the tips in say your big pliers and tighten the screws with other hand. There's a fairly heavy current there in a small area and any looseness of the connection can cause the new connection to heat up and burn off; thereby possibly ruining a new element. (It's hot enough there normally with the heat from the oven!) Use sandpaper or a small file to clean away any corrosion to get metal to metal contact. Maybe use new screws? Add washers; to increase contact area? If they are not screw-on connections bur some form of clips make sure the electrical contact/connections are clean and good. Good luck, well done btw. Terry.
Terry wrote:

Hmmm, the electrical connection is a fairly bog standard spade connector, and it came off very easily. Maybe this is the origin of the fault...

All good advice; it will be put into practice!
Cheers,
--
jc

Remove the -not from email

It shouldn't come off too easily, if the connector is sound then a *gentle* squeeze with pliers should ensure it grips better. Otherwise replace it.
Jeremy Collins wrote:

Thanks to all who advised - the oven is now working. I got the part from http://www.elementman.co.uk/ - very helpful bloke when it came to tracking down the right part, and next day delivery.
--
jc

Remove the -not from email

Mark Evans wrote:

Yes they do but I've never managed to put in an order below 30 because they sell so much useful stuff!!
Bob