Can I mend my oven?

Hi all,

My oven has packed up. It's an electric freestander (with a gas hob). The oven fan and light come on when I turn the knob, but it doesn't get hot. There's a smaller top oven & grill which still work, and the electric ignition for the gas still works.

I'm thinking it's either the electronic timer / clock thingy (which I guess I can't fix), or some kind of internal thermostat has failed (which maybe I can).

How do I diagnose the cause? Am I likely to be able to repair this myself?

Reply to
Jeremy Collins

I've fixed a few such things: Suggestion: Make sure your electrical connections to the new elements are 'good and tight'. Hold the tips in say your big pliers and tighten the screws with other hand. There's a fairly heavy current there in a small area and any looseness of the connection can cause the new connection to heat up and burn off; thereby possibly ruining a new element. (It's hot enough there normally with the heat from the oven!) Use sandpaper or a small file to clean away any corrosion to get metal to metal contact. Maybe use new screws? Add washers; to increase contact area? If they are not screw-on connections bur some form of clips make sure the electrical contact/connections are clean and good. Good luck, well done btw. Terry.

Reply to
Terry

Hmmm, the electrical connection is a fairly bog standard spade connector, and it came off very easily. Maybe this is the origin of the fault...

All good advice; it will be put into practice!

Cheers,

Reply to
Jeremy Collins

Thanks to all who advised - the oven is now working. I got the part from

- very helpful bloke when it came to tracking down the right part, and next day delivery.

Reply to
Jeremy Collins

It shouldn't come off too easily, if the connector is sound then a *gentle* squeeze with pliers should ensure it grips better. Otherwise replace it.

Reply to
Mark Evans

Yes they do but I've never managed to put in an order below £30 because they sell so much useful stuff!!

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin