Can I Convert a electric recliner chair to manual recliner?

Hi all,

I have a Celebrity Electric Reclining Chair that I bought second hand

The upholstery side of it is in very good condition, but after playing up the rise / reclining function stopped altogether.

It has a single transformer voltage of 25V

With Leggett & Platt mechanism and an Okin single Motor.

I have had two electricians look at it and both say the motor is us and it would be better to buy a new chair.

Has anyone ever converted an electric one to work manually?

While no carpenter I would like to have a go.

Any thoughts welcomed,

Mick.

Reply to
Mick.

I'd think about a new motor. Search through the electrical surplus dealers / car window or car seat motors /robot parts suppliers.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Indeed. The reason why cars have electric windows, is that its CHEAPER.

Those huge mechanical winders were heavy and expensive t make.

Most DC style motors are very generic.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

TMC

Eh, having had both types apart there is very little difference the motor just replaces the handle. The rest of the mechansium is very similar, channel attached to the bottom of the glass, one or two arms with rollers in the channel, quadrant drive from the handle/motor to make the arm(s) go up/down.

I think there are recirculating ball drives and worm drives but they strike me as even more complicated.

For something like a chair I'd agree, cars tend to use custom motors simply 'cause of the scale of manufacture.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Car seat motors may well even be indentical to the original - a surprising amount of stuff gets shared around. Ford's seat-height knob once appeared on an operating table.

Reply to
Skipweasel

I thin you will find they are still generic.

Mabuchi for example, spits out billions of DC motors to almost any spec you want. From toothbrush to a golf buggy. Its not hard to fn one of similar power and voltage rating, and its not usually that critical either.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Was that in the episode of the Hitch Hiker's Guide that they banned?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Mick.

Thankfully, my cuppa is currently brewing, and none of it was in my mouth :)

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Prefect!

Reply to
Skipweasel

The four Goldberg brothers, Lowell, Norman, Hiram, and Max, invented and developed the first automobile air-conditioner. On July 17, 1946, the temperature in Detroit was 97 degrees. The four brothers walked into old man Henry Ford's office and sweet-talked his secretary into telling him that four gentlemen were there with the most exciting innovation in the auto industry since the electric starter. Henry was curious and invited them into his office. They refused and instead asked that he come out to the parking lot to their car. They persuaded him to get into the car, which was about 130 degrees, turned on the air conditioner, and cooled the car off immediately. The old man got very excited and invited them back to the office, where he offered them $3 million for the patent. The brothers refused, saying they would settle for $2 million, but they wanted the recognition by having a label, 'The Goldberg Air-Conditioner,' on the dashboard of each car in which it was installed. Now old man Ford was more than just a little anti-Semitic, and there was no way he was going to put the Goldberg's name on two million Fords. They haggled back and forth for about two hours and finally agreed on $4 million and that just their first names would be shown. And so to this day, all Ford air conditioners show - Lo, Norm, Hi, and Max - on the controls.

Reply to
Graham.

Or look for "remco"

Reply to
geoff

In message , Graham. writes

Yeah, yeah, very good ...

NEXT ...

Reply to
geoff

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Graham." saying something like:

million and that just their first names would be shown.

the controls.

Never heard that one before.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Did you ever get an answer how to convert an electric chair to manual. I want to do that. Please help...

Reply to
Chris

Did you get your chair converted to manual? If so, how do you do it, I need to know, please....

Reply to
crsnham

i would imagine a new mechanism would be needed, as the manual chairs have springs and counter balance levers all over the mechanism, along with a lock when it is closed up,

the electric models just use the motor to position the mechanism,

surely you can replace the motor?

Reply to
Gazz

A friend had to junk their old electric one as the gears stripped, it use nylon gears and the orignil maker was no longer in business (Probably ran out of crap nylon gears.)

If it is only the motor and not the mecanism, it could well be some standard motor, one would need to extricate it without all the spings and bits flying all over the room. I have to say when I saw the innards of one of these devices, it put me off them for ever!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

to know, please....

Replacing the motor is not an option. This is to satisfy someone who Hates the electric version.

Reply to
Chris