Can I add an additional electric-supply coin meter?

HI,

I am converting the downstairs of my house into a granny-flat for a member of my family. However, I don't really want to have the supply split and pay two standing charges for electricity. Is it possible to buy and fit a coin-meter for this seperate area, - which will cover the usage costs and I which I can empty myself? I expect to piggy-back an additional consumer-unit onto the existing one so that the supply downstairs has it's own trips, and I would like to put a meter there to pay me for the electricity used.

Also, can I ask my electricity supplier to increase the house supply to, say, 150a instead of the usual 100a? I want to add another electric shower if possible.

Thanks in advance.

H.

Reply to
Howie

That's a bit tight-fisted, charging your granny for electricity, innit.

:-)

Reply to
Frank Erskine

| |That's a bit tight-fisted, charging your granny for electricity, |innit. | |:-)

Never said it was my granny did I? :-)

For all you know, - it could be my mother-in-law. So there!

Reply to
Howie

Google for "coin operated electricity meters"

You will have to give consideration to the location of the meter with regard to existing circuits - to have the meter in a different location to the consumer unit it serves may require some substantial cables. Also be aware that some coin-op meters may only be rated at 40 A or so.

You can ask, but they will charge for doing it. It will probably involve uprating the cable to your property. Also most consumer units are rated at 100 A or less so you will need more than one consumer unit.

Reply to
Alistair Riddell

| HI, |=20 | I am converting the downstairs of my house into a granny-flat for | a member of my family. However, I don't really want to have the | supply split and pay two standing charges for electricity. Is it | possible to buy and fit a coin-meter for this seperate area, - | which will cover the usage costs and I which I can empty myself? | I expect to piggy-back an additional consumer-unit onto the | existing one so that the supply downstairs has it's own trips, | and I would like to put a meter there to pay me for the | electricity used.=20

Beware you are *not* allowed by law to charge any more for electricity than you pay for it. This law mad a complete pigs ear of touring caravan pitch fees.

Could you not get the electricity company to fit an extra meter for the granny flat?

--=20 Dave Fawthrop

17,000 free e-books at Project Gutenberg!
Yorkshire Dialect go to
Dave Fawthrop

|On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 11:59:34 +0000, Howie | wrote: | || HI, || || I am converting the downstairs of my house into a granny-flat for || a member of my family. However, I don't really want to have the || supply split and pay two standing charges for electricity. Is it || possible to buy and fit a coin-meter for this seperate area, - || which will cover the usage costs and I which I can empty myself? || I expect to piggy-back an additional consumer-unit onto the || existing one so that the supply downstairs has it's own trips, || and I would like to put a meter there to pay me for the || electricity used. | |Beware you are *not* allowed by law to charge any more for electricity |than you pay for it. This law mad a complete pigs ear of touring |caravan pitch fees. | |Could you not get the electricity company to fit an extra meter for |the granny flat?

Yes, but as I said, I really don't want to have to pay two standing charges.

Reply to
Howie

2 x rates too, then water Co gets involved.... and so it goes on....
Reply to
Vass

You don't necessarily have to pay two standing charges (most suppliers have dropped standing charge anyway) if you ask for two meters (supply points) to be amalgamated onto one account. It's quite common for farm buildings etc which are spread out and have separate supplies to be billed together.

The electric co can also supply a landlord's meter for stair lighting etc and split that and charge it to multiple tenants' bills (at least ScottishPower can).

Owain

Reply to
Owain

"Howie" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Toolstation 74164 - £40 or 68988 - £11.50 if you trust the person with a conventional meter.

Reply to
Autolycus

I think a small margin is permitted in rental properties, but not much. IIRC 10%.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

No margin, see:

manatbandq

No margin, see:

manatbandq

| |"Howie" wrote in |message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com... |>

|> I am converting the downstairs of my house into a granny-flat for |> a member of my family. However, I don't really want to have the |> supply split and pay two standing charges for electricity. Is it |> possible to buy and fit a coin-meter for this seperate area, - |> which will cover the usage costs and I which I can empty myself? | |Toolstation 74164 - £40 |or 68988 - £11.50 if you trust the person with a conventional meter.

Thanks for that. Looks like it will do the job nicely.

Thanks for everyone's help.

H.

Reply to
Howie