Can "conservatory" have a tiled roof.

I have asked my planning department for conservatory planning and they stated it was not needed for a conservatory in my garden when i gave them my address.

I want a dwarf wall building with glass surroundings but a normal roof, ie tiled. Will this classify my buidling as a conservatory? or must i have a polycarbonate or glass roof?

Reply to
Shabs

when I asked my LA I was told it had to have a transparent sloping roof. I wanted to builb brick walls with 8ft patio doors and windows in the side. This was over 10 years ago though.

Dave

Reply to
dave

to qualify a certain percentage of the roof must be translucent, as must the walls, so a fully tiled roof is out, that will be an extension, you may still not need pp. look on your council website.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Not according to my local council - must have a translucent roof no mention of the walls though So I built what was essentially an extension but with lots of windows and a patio door in one wall to the maximum size to escape PP. All of the walls weere double skinned and the roof was triple glazed polycarbonate - works well. As its such a cheap project dont skimp on roof materials - use nice hardwood windows and hardwood beams

Reply to
jim.arnold

No. Indeed you may find it illegal to build your intended building.

You need the conservatory exemption to be able to have glass walls. As it would count as an extension, the glazing would be above the maximum allowed for simple uValue calculation and it would be very difficult to achieve the right results using the other methods.

The only method I can think of that may be successful is showing an improvement over the entire property. i.e. the calculated heat losses in the new extension must be matched by improving insulation massively in the rest of the property, so as a whole, the building is more energy efficient than it was before the extension.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I am not an expert in this area: but AIUI; you may have misunderstood what you were told .... on learning your address the 'Planning Dept' my have observed that no previous extensions had been erected there - therefore within certain constraints -you would not need _planning_ permission to develop within your permitted development volume.

The design, strength, materials to be used are now matters of Building Control ... go ask them ... .

HTH

Reply to
Brian Sharrock