Can coir mats be cut with a bandsaw?

Following-on from the earlier questions, it would be quite good to have a T-shaped door mat. Before I buy a cheapie to experiment, has anyone tried cutting them with a bandsaw?

Dave

Reply to
NoSpam

I doubt it. Bandsaws hate fibrous stuff as it tends to clog around the lower guide.

I have cut matting like this before using a jigsaw with a "breadknife" blade in it: the sort with a wavey knife edge.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Can I be the first to suggest an angle grinder?

I suppose the band saw might be OK with a bit of scrap plywood under the mat.

How did they get it off the roll at the supplier?

Strong scissors? Tin snips?

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Aha! Thanks, I should have thought of that.

Reply to
NoSpam

We have some rubbery-backed coir matting which the carpet fitters cut to shape to fit our front door lobby - sort of trapezoidal shaped. They used a stanley knife.

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

Sharp knife would be best. Known as a shoe knife or sometimes a lino knife.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

My thoughts is it might clog. I'd use tin snips.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Same here - I have a recess built into my laminte flooring in the hall. Cutting the coir matting to shape with a Stanley knife was no problem.

I'm wondering if the OP maybe means one of those mats made out of interlocking rubbery loops and "piano wire" in a woven-looking pattern?

Regards, Simon.

Reply to
Simon Stroud

Do you have a pic of one Dave? If so,

Tabby

The job's now done. It's easy to buy mats by the metre, and straightforward to cut them to shape using a sharp stanley knife from the rear. Thanks for the earlier comments.

Reply to
NoSpam