Can boilers cause a whacking sound?

ie a loud crack noise.

I'm getting woken up at random times of the early hours of the morning by a loud crack type of noise,my neighbours away and now I have had time to think, this occurs every time she's away ie the boiler not getting used for anything upto a week or two?

Tis bloody annoying and I'm trying to fathom out whats doing it? short of staying up for a couple of nights as its random I don't think I can pinpoint it hence me asking whether boilers creat a loud bang or noise when not in use or are just plain too old and need replacing.

TIA

Reply to
George

"George" wrote

We had a boiler that used to ignite explosively, which may have sounded like a crack from the outside. This was intermittent and no doubt due to the position/size of the pilot relative to the burner. No reason why this should be happening only while your neighbour is away though!

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

If the pump doesnt overrun, water is liable to boil in the heat exchanger when the boiler stops. In a restricted space like this it sounds like banging. Suspect the pump overrun circuitry - if there is any. If not, turning the circulation temp down reduces the odds of it happening.

NT

Reply to
meow2222