Can Anyone Remember Name ?

When I first started sparking, back in 1973, the chap whom I was working for used to crosscut floorbaords using a ratchet type circular saw blade.

Can anyone remeber these.....?

Can anyone remember wthe name of them......?

Can anyone remember who made them.....?

Jim G

Reply to
the_constructor

It happens that the_constructor formulated :

Yes.

No, sorry.

Spear and Jackson, but not certain

Never used one, but as I remember...

They came out in the mid 1960's. You knelt on it and cranked an handle to saw the board beneath the blade.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Yes.

Bloody Hard Work.

Nope.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

Never used one but remember them

Ratchet flooring saw

Based on the electricians' ratchet brace for drilling through joists in confined spaces, so I'd guess Stanley

You can still get something of the sort in the US for cutting laminate:

> Jim G

Reply to
Norman Billingham

I still have my one

no makers name, a very useful tool 50 years ago, very few tradesmen or DIYers had much in the way of power tools for cutting floorboards.

-
Reply to
Mark

I had one of those many years ago, supplied by the GPO as, ISTR, a "Saws Floorboard". I loaned it to someone (together with a few "Chisels Wood", who shortly after, emigrated to South Africa, and I've never seen them (or Bob White!) since :-( The green bit had a hollowed face, into which you were supposed to kneel to put pressure on the blade. There was some sort of depth stop adjustment, not easily seen in the pic. As you say, there were few alternatives apart from that sort of saw like a tenon saw with a convex cutting face, or mutilating the boards with a chisel.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

I have one of those tenon saws!

Reply to
Bob Eager

I have watched someone cut through floor boards using a plain tenon saw. He made it look really simple. he started on one side and then swopped sides to finish it. No notch in the boards either side.

Reply to
dennis

After a few times of watching him do this, I was given the job from then on.

I progressed from that to using a rawlplug tool with a lump hammer. Boy my thumbs were bloody a few times and the number of times I slipped with the hammer and took the skin of the back of my hands.

Jim G

Reply to
the_constructor

Mark, if you ever wish to sell that item, please inbox me Jim G

Reply to
the_constructor

well i actually have the set, the rotary saw and the tenon floorboard saw, and even some new spare blades for the rotary saw.

im not very good at parting with things ;( One day it will all have to go, will keep you in mind.

-
Reply to
Mark

circular

At 52 I'm obviously too young to remember them but a great looking and useful tool. Thanks for the post, when the shit hits the fan and we have to revert to hand tools ideas like that could be very useful.

The one imaged looks like a "chinese import" of that period, my father/grandfather had (I probably have now...) similar cheap looking and colour schemed tools. Pretty sure S&J or Stanley would have their brand on them and Stanley have used yellow/orange as their corporate colour for donkeys years.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Before that, Stanley had Hammerite finish on a few things.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Many thanks Jim G

Reply to