Can anyone recommend an inexpensive whater-based white one-coat gloss paint?

Can anyone recommend an inexpensive water based white one-coat gloss paint? I went into Wilkies today hoping to find some, but all they had was oil based gloss. I used water-based stuff back in the 1980s and was impressed by the way it stayed pure white indefinitely (unlike its oilbased counterpart which turns almost cream-colourerd after a couple of years).

TIA

Al

Reply to
AL_n

Any gloss paint described as "quick drying" will be water based. Providing it's not subject to wear and tear, it'll be fine, and will stay white

Reply to
stuart noble

What do you want to paint with it?

It's fine on most woodwork, but I made the mistake of using it on MDF kitchen window-cills. This was a disaster, because if anything even slightly wet was put on the cills, the water went straight through the paint and made the MDF swell up.

Reply to
Roger Mills

no, they're lousy

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Roger Mills wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net:

It's for skirting boards and internal doors, currently painted with oil- based white gloss that has turned yellowish.

Can anyone offer guidance on how much preparation of the old oil-based gloss coat is required, prior to repainting with the quick-drying water- based gloss? Is any extra sanding required, in order to give the new water- based gloss satisfactory key and adhesion?

TIA

Al

Reply to
AL_n

The need for key and adhesion has traditionally been over emphasised. Fact is, paint will stick to most surfaces, particularly non-absorbent ones like glass

Reply to
stuart noble

The other fact is that water onto oil can go very badly due to it beading before drying. But even then it gets there after a few coats.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr