Can anyone recommend a first-DIY'ers book ?

Hello all,

I've been considering either the Reader's Digest or Collins guides, and wondered if anyone had any thoughts/suggestions on these or others?

Cheers,

D.

Reply to
Dazz

I bought the Collins book last year - I've yet to find something to try which isn't covered in the book!. Seriously though I find it quite easy to follow and there are lots of diagrams etc. I also paid about £25 for it but I believe it's on Amazon for a lot less than that now.

That book coupled with this newsgroup..... you can't go wrong ;o) (so to speak).

Jengis

Reply to
Jengis

Reply to
Peter Parry

Fitting door locks and handles ! :-) Yet it covers hinges and letter boxes.

Seriously though, excellent book and well recommended.

Reply to
G&M

Well finding this group before starting shows reasonable initiative.

Reply to
G&M

Does one first need an aptitude? If one doesn't have an aptitude then no amount of reading will give the skills.

Any comments?

Reply to
John

I have had 2 editions of the collins DIY Manual and can say that I have not had to look at any other book (apart from a complete rewire of my house). For the vast majority of DIY jobs this book more than adequately covers all that you need to know. Well worth it. Cant comment on readers digest Im afraid.

Reply to
Quddus

"John" wrote | Does one first need an aptitude? If one doesn't have an aptitude | then no amount of reading will give the skills.

Aptitude comes free with special-offer packs of tuits.

Every time you get a round tuit you get a bit more aptitude.

Owain

Reply to
Owain