Can anyone recommend a combi boiler (for a 3-bed house)?

I'm looking to install a combi boiler in my average-sized 3-bed house.

Can anyone recommend one that is going to be good value for money, and also reasonably low-priced?

Someone has offered me a 15-yr old one (second hand) but it's only 78.50% efficient, and is non-condensing. So I'm thinking it may make sense to pay a good deal more and buy a new one that is A-rated for efficiency.

Many thanks

Al

Reply to
AL_n

Most likely you're not allowed to install the second-hand one then ...

Andy Burns

Reply to
John Smith

For a combi maybe, not compared to a cast-iron lump though :-)

Reply to
Andy Burns

What is low priced? £600?

The big makes are much of a muchness, not a great deal between them. I've been looking at the Intergas range, and they seem pretty good - you still get domestic HW if the pump fails, few moving parts, and look pretty simple. £800-900 though.

I bought a Heat Line combi 3 years ago, mainly as it was so cheap. They are £500 or less now, B+Q can get them in, £500, get a OAP discount, and I think it is one of the cheapest out there. No problems in 3 years here, others may have different experiences.

I wouldnt even think about it. When a part fails, will you be able to get a spare part? Glowworm, when fitted by an approved installer give a

5 year guarantee (so long as it is serviced every year). That is pretty good, and could sway my views toward them if I wasnt fitting it myself.

Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

Pity they don't consider that when quoting the 'savings'. ;-)

Andy C

Reply to
Andy Cap

A 15 year old one is practically worthless, and not worth the effort IMO.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Law aside, what's the cost of installation? What's the cost of the new boiler? What's the expected lifetime of the two? What are the expected cost savings?

Given that lot you have the information you need to work out the cost per year of each choice.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Andy Champ wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@eclipse.net.uk:

Thanks to all for the insights. Another option I have is a local gas plumber who (I'm told) will install a modern combi boiler and give the official stamp of approval stating it meets building regs, all for £600. (At least, that was the cost he quoted, 18 months ago.) If I got him to install one for me, and then took out insurance against boiler breakdown, that might be a cost effective option, yes?

I was very tempted to buy the 15-yr old boiler and install it myself (probably for a total cost of about £200 plus a day's work).. But then I'd have no papers to show when I sell the house.

Al

Reply to
AL_n

Fist, ensure you don't live next-door to dennis.

Reply to
Andy Burns

^ r

Reply to
Andy Burns

I don't think I'd go for the 15-year-old one for other reasons, but I've never been seen any boiler "papers" when buying a house.

Reply to
Martin Pentreath