Can anyone help identify this product?

It has glass balls in it, which are abrasive! It attacks all forms of rubber, It causes pitting in certain types of brass, It leaves behind a greasy film which attacks dirt, It causes the carbon on carbon track potentiometers to "turn to mush", It attacks plastic and damages it forever, Is IS safe for metal, wood, rubber, and plastic, Can't use in on bicycle tires, it will weaken the tube, It will mess everything up, Do NOT use it .. on anything you care about, Using it will also attract dirt, Do not use it as that is a lubricant, It is petrol based, YOU MUST NEVER USE IT ON MODEL RAILWAYS, It has a tendancy (sic) to soften plastic over prolonged use, It will losen (sic) screw (sic) etc, It displaces the grease in the chain's O- or X-rings, It is a wax based insulator, It is a petroleum distillate, It's magic ... is due to its main ingredient, DMSO, Knowledgeable people do NOT use it, It has micro beads of glass that are an abrasive, DO NOT use it! It is petroleum based. Use some KY, It can erode the rubber in the hop up, I'd omit it, It is not a good lubricant, protectant, etc, Do not use it. I don't remember why, It causes grief with gumming up knives, It is too thin and will actually accelerate bearing wear, DO NOT use it ever!, Do Not Use it on airbrushes, It can in fact even diminish existing lubricants, It may be flammable when a tea light is added... DO NOT USE it on your animal unless you want to kill it, It can gum things up, DO NOT use it, or anything like it!, It leaves behind a film that actually collects dirt and dust, Do NOT use it on the piano, It may seem to help at first... ...but you will soon notice the drawbacks, DO NOT USE it or similar cleaning fluid due to fire risk, The viscosity of it is all wrong, It is an abrasive spray, It will do more damage to the fan, It will cause a deterioration of the synthetic material, It may attack the lacquer finish and tarnish the brass, It magically manages to make the situation worse somehow, It can corrode the rubber bumpers at the side of the playing surface, It will actually ruin the Teflon in the uniball, It will only dry the rubber out over time, It will destroy the vinyl, It will cause future damage, It can add thread friction and decrease knife clamping pressure, It can and WILL cause you finishing problems, It tends to burn at high temperatures, IT WILL SEIZE THE LOCK, It doesn't last very long, It is too thin and will evaporate, It will leave a residue, It's way to gunk-y and attracts dirt!,

If you're feeling a little bored during the holiday season...

...try Googling the phrase "Do not use WD40" for a laugh.

Dave Osborne

Snibbo?

Reply to
Phil Jessop

knew it was WD40 ater the first half dozen

Reply to
Phil L

Glass balls? More like total balls...

Reply to
newshound

What product would people recommend to keep to hand for the typical domestic / car spray lube jobs? I am keen to keep things running smoothly and tend to buy whatever catches my eye in the discount shops - but recognise I should have something good in my toolkit.

Reply to
John

Sewing machine oil. Just a decent lubricant. Or alternately get an oil can and fill it with a thin car engine oil.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I do have both of those - but sometimes an aerosol is handy and the products may be cleaner.

Have tried: Spray - White Grease and Silicone Lube

Reply to
John

Silicone lube is good because it doesn't really attack anything (like natural rubber which is attacked by certain hydrocarbons). Also, you can polish it up to a sheen if you like.

IMHO, they're all much of a muchness, so go for the cheapest, e.g.

Dave Osborne

Silicone is a good lube, as It doesn't go away. The spray shop at an aircraft factory can't spray over it many months after it gets on the primer that it was built in. They have to rub down the paint to get rid of it.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Bird s**t can be a problem to paint over too. Doesn't make it a good lubricant, though.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

WD40. Don't listen to the nay sayers around here, its a wonderful multi purpose product.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Indeed - it's the wrong tool for all sorts of jobs ;)

Reply to
Jules

It is useful. I carry a small tin around when doing location film shoots - fine for stopping a squeaky door. But then I'm only interested in it working for a short while. At home I'd use an oil can.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In message , Dave Osborne writes

The clue is in the full name i.e. Water Dispersant formula #40

It was never intended for any of the above!

Reply to
Frank Spencer

Won't allow it in the workshop, for just that reason. Nightmare if you're trying to do paintwork or wood finishing, and there are smears of silicone around. Even transfer on a jigsaw soleplate can be enough.

It's in the garage, but even then I keep all the silicone oils & greases in an ammo box so that they can't leak or spill.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Would it have prevented the breakdown of 4 trains in the Channel Tunnel?

Reply to
John

In message , John writes

Well, actually, since they are saying the problems were due to condensation in going from outside to inside the tunnel, the answer has to be probably yes, as this is what it is actually meant to do

Reply to
geoff

Almost certainly. Wonderful stuff!

Reply to