Can a hospital bed go upstairs?

Reply to
Tim French

I was talking about one who, at that time, wasn't. One nurse was sufficient; two were more than adequate under all circumstances and all conditions of H&S; home nursing was refused unless lifting equipment was made available.

Reply to
John Cartmell

My local shopping centre has two ground floors, depending on which direct you come from you use one then go up to the other, or down to the other. Buildings on some sort of slope aren't uncommon. Several buildings I've been in have been the same.

Martin <

Reply to
Martin Davies

"Tim French"

That's nothing. During my last mission, we enountered a space anomaly that had my ship's decks and hallways constantly twisting shifting, where it became impossible to get anywhere we wanted to go. The bridge was engineering, engineering was sickbay, an attractive crewmember's quarters turned into mine, and so on...

Reply to
Warm Worm

If one was sufficient then they could lift more safely than I ever could.

80pound weight? 100 pound weight? And not just lifting, lifting safely.

Lifting equipment can make things safer, more stable for the patient, and less likely to cause problems for staff. Could you personally handle shifting heavy weight on a regular basis, without any problems for the patient or you? If so, congratulations. For the rest of us mortals, H&S tries to make sure all sides are protected against problems. Doesn't always work, but gives some good guidelines.

Martin <

Reply to
Martin Davies

The message from "Warm Worm" contains these words:

Find any pairs of size nine chukka boots?

Reply to
Guy King

Anything more than 35kg is defined as a two man lift by H&S these days. Can't be many adults that weigh less than that.

Reply to
John Rumm

Especially since you can't assume the correct lifting position when getting someone out of bed.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

MHOR say otherwise: avoidable manual handling.

Reply to
Phil Bradshaw

For which species?

Reply to
Warm Worm

Does it matter when arse and elbow likely go with the anomaly too?

Reply to
Phil Bradshaw

Reply to
Warm Worm

|John Cartmell wrote: |> In article , |> Martin Davies wrote: |>> John Cartmell wrote: |>>> In article , |>>> Dave Plowman (News) wrote: |>>>> In article , |>>>> John Cartmell wrote: |>>>>> My mother couldn't be nursed at home because regulations wouldn't |>>>>> allow two nurses to lift her without special lifting equipment. |>>>

|>> Humans are pretty heavy. And not all nursing staff are weightlifters |>> in their spare time. |>

|> I was talking about one who, at that time, wasn't. One nurse was |> sufficient; two were more than adequate under all circumstances and |> all conditions of H&S; home nursing was refused unless lifting |> equipment was made available. | |If one was sufficient then they could lift more safely than I ever could. |80pound weight? 100 pound weight? And not just lifting, lifting safely. | |Lifting equipment can make things safer, more stable for the patient, and |less likely to cause problems for staff. |Could you personally handle shifting heavy weight on a regular basis, |without any problems for the patient or you? If so, congratulations.

You have a Bad Back or will have if you continue lifting heavy objects. I was this week talking to a Nurse who still has a Bad Back from lifting patients years ago

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

|In article , | John Rumm wrote: |> Anything more than 35kg is defined as a two man lift by H&S these days. |> Can't be many adults that weigh less than that. | |Especially since you can't assume the correct lifting position when |getting someone out of bed.

Impossible would be a better desciption.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

May be linked to fire safety issues? A disabled person would not be able to exit 2nd floor by alternative means (window, etc), leaving only the stairs as an exit route (with assistance). If stairwell is involved in fire ...

Reply to
Nick

My now deceased mother had on one the first floor of an old Georgian House. It was fine.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

The Victorian houses I have lived in all had floor joists at least twice as deep as used in anything built post-war. Their floor loading would have been a lot higher. I would expect something similar in a Georgian house.

Reply to
nightjar

<snip>

I have a sneaking suspicion that after fifteen years, the problem has been sorted, one way or another.

Reply to
Chris Hogg