Can a 150w outside PIR light be upgraded to a 300w

Hi guys

I purchased the following outside light a couple of months ago

am now wishing I had opted for the 300w version. Can I just upgrade the bulb to a 300w or will there be some internal differences?

Thanks

Reply to
diy-newby

You can try a 300watt bulb but the light fitting might only be built for a maximum of 150watt which means the fitting will start to melt. check to see if it states maximum 150watt.

> I am now wishing I had opted for the 300w version. Can I just upgrade the

Reply to
Ray

> I am now wishing I had opted for the 300w version. Can I just upgrade the

if the fitting is rated 150w max, no!

NT

Reply to
meow2222

> I am now wishing I had opted for the 300w version. Can I just upgrade

The extra heat will probably fry the fitting. I installed a 500w one, working from a ladder recently. Consequently I was right it front of it & very close.

Whilst testing it & adjusting the switches it bloody near set my fleece alight.

These things give off a lot of heat.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

>>> I am now wishing I had opted for the 300w version. Can I just upgrade

yep. About 499W of it ;-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

There is no faster way of burning money than to fit a half kilo-watt electric fire on the outside of you house, and letting the squirrels decide when to turn it on. :-)

Reply to
TheOldFellow

On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 09:27:48 -0000 someone who may be "diy-newby" wrote this:-

to dawn low energy lamp for security lighting and a 500W floodlight for the infrequent times loading and the like is done.

If high levels of light are often needed a sodium lamp would be better.

Reply to
David Hansen

ones are all 118mm, not 78mm long as the 150w. Never mind.

Whilst on the topic of PIR lights I am trying to find a white PIR light that can be fitted to the outside wall but angled so the light is pointing directly downwards. Most of the current ones are fancy (not the old square / rectangular lamps) and cannot be angled directly down. Can only seem to find the black ones.

Reply to
diy-newby

It's handy for people with more money than sense, who don't have space for a yacht.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

No. In addition to the other comments, a 300W bulb is longer.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

> I am now wishing I had opted for the 300w version. Can I just upgrade the

As other people have said, 300W & 500W bulbs are a different length to the

75W & 150W kind. However, if you bought the similar 300W light fitting model from Screwfix, you'd probably (only probably) find that they use the same backplate, which would at least make the new one easier to fit.
Reply to
Simon